Best Ammo for Ruger 10/22 and Whats up with Hi Cap Mags?

Jamie Young

Whats the best ammo for Semi Auto guns? I see in My Manual it says not to use Stingers for this gun. What other good ammo is there? How many rounds can you put threw one of these things before they start to Jam up? I have little experience with these guns so tell me all the do's and don'ts.

What about the Magazines for these guns. I've seen 30rd clear Mags at Dick's Sporting goods. Can I get RELIABLE mags with more than a 10rd capacity without spending $75.

DAVID NANCARROW

Guess I'd better look at the manual, because the Stingers are the most accurate and reliable rounds I have fired through my latest 10/22 Sporter. Have had 3 of them in the last 25 years, and the last two of them would group best with CCI mini-mags, but seemed to function well with just about anything I put in them. I sold the last two because I got offers from friends who liked them a lot after I got them running the way I wanted and couldn't resist. This one is the first sporter I have ever had, and its going in the casket with me:D . It is a bit more finicky than the last two, and doesn't much like standard velocity LR's. Makes me wonder if I need a recoil spring replacement. The rounds fire okay, but the ejection is not very strong, and when it gets really dirty (200 rounds +/-), it ties up the empty with the next round in the mag.
I would recommend you buy some from W-W, Federal, Remington, CCI and maybe a few others and see which groups best. By the way, Stingers in my 10/22 group 4" higher than standard velocity ammo and the groups are tighter. If there is an issue with Stingers, it may be banging the back of the bolt against the crossbolt at the rear of the receiver.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I tried a goodly bunch of different brands and types in my 10/22 and found that the QuikShok gave the tightest groups.

Seems like everybody's 10/22 is different, though.

Art

Master Blaster

I have found that with my 10/22 it does not reliably feed any short length .22lr ammo, Yellow jackets truncated cone, stingers, or the winchester xpert that I recently bought at wally world.

All are all shorter in OAL than other brands like CCI blazer, or federal copper plated bulk or the thunderbolts. It also likes all expensive match ammo of any brand, and CCI standard velocity.

The longer the cartridge the more reliable and accurate, the shorter the more likely to jam in my 10/22 anyway.

If you want accuracy stay away from the hyper velocity stuff, because it crosses the sound barrier as it travels to the target and slows, this causes turbulence and affects the path of the bullet.

I know folks brag about the great groups at 50 yards with the hyper velocity stuff, but I personnaly find it to be less accurate and give me shotgun patterns rather than groups at distances over 50 yards.

JMHO YMMV

Ric

My experience is similiar to master blaster.

"Miss Piggy", my stainless 1022T, really likes CCI HP minimags, Winchester Power Points are a close second. She chokes on the truncated cone 'hyper-velocity' rounds (Stingers, yellow jackets, Quik-shoks), with jams on the second or third rounds of a string about 90 % of the time.

I haven't shot enough target grade stuff to find a preference. Since this is my TAFC (tactical armadillo/feral cat) rifle, it mostly sees hollow point ammo.

Shoot lots of different brands - you may find a clear preference. Then stock up on that lot number.

Master Blaster

I never saw a gun bend a .22lr round into a U shape until I tried some of the truncated cone ammo in my 10/22, If you want to shoot this ammo use a bolt action, or a Thompson contender, its not designed to feed in a semi auto.

Pappy John

Soda Pop, Try several brands since you never know what a particular .22 will like, but make sure one of them is Federal Lightnings. Walmart sells them for $7.90 per brick. 40 Gr. bullet pulling 1260 fps. My 10/22 and Ruger semi auto pistols go through these by the thousands. They're not up to match ammo in the accuracy department, but they funtion well for practice ammo and just playin' around.

falconer

Soda, it depends on the model of 10/22 you have. The warning against stingers is for the new target models. This is because of their tighter chambers.

El Rojo

I use the Winchester hyper velocity hollow points. They group very well. I have found that they have similar accuracy to the Federal 711B (the lowest Federal Target ammo) with good squirrel stopping power. The best and funnest thing to do is go try a bunch of different loads and see what your gun likes best.

patent

TimH

I don't have any high cap mags, I've heard they jam frequently enough that I didn't figure it was worth much to me.

patent

Jamie Young

I don't want to deal with Hi caps if they aren't reliable. I was just curious about them. I'd only want this gun for plinking.

johnwill

I have a bunch of the Butler Creek Hot Lips 25rd mags, and they've been as reliable as factory mags for me. I have three or four of the Butler Creek Steel Lips 25rd mags that I've saved in their original packages, maybe I'll break them out someday. :)

Marcus

Soda my 10/22 works equally well with anything I`ve tried in it (functioning wise). I haven`t tried any hardcore accuracy testing but now that the red dot is dialed in I will. As for mags I dunno, I haven`t found the factory mags to exactly wrap themselves in glory. I had many failures to feed at the TFL shoot once the mags got a little dirty,the rotor inside wasn`t advancing the rounds all the way. When I got home I cleaned them and cranked the tension up some (they felt weak to me). I`ll have to see how they work now. I planning on getting a bunch of Butler Creek 10rd. Steellips mags. 25rd. mags would be nice but not for the price they`re asking! Marcus