Best all around (tactical) rifle

STAGE 2

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a new rifle, and since we've got some Nazi bastard playing governor, my aspirations for a CAR-15 are shot. I'm looking for a good all around tactical rifle, and have liked some of the HK's as well as Springfields M-14. I wouldn't mind a Garand either. Opinions, thoughts... what do you guys shoot/have and how do you like it.

Kaylee

"tactical" meaning "suitable for precision hits at long ranges"

or

"tactical" meaning "suitable for modern infantry combat (more or less)"

or

"tactical" meaning "really fun, cool-looking toy to play with on the range"?

lotsa different answers, depending on what you're looking to get out of it.

-K

Sundance

Some questions:

1) What are you going to do with it?

2) Max range needed?

3) What caliber interests you?

4) How much do you want to spend?

The M14/M1A and Garand are not tactical rifles. They are heavy, cumbersome battle rifles capable of good accuracy at extended ranges. The .308 and .30-06 are moderate recoiling, hard hitting rounds.

The CAR15 is a light tactical rifle in .223. It is capable of good accuracy at lesser ranges. The .223 has almost no recoil yet still has adequate stopping power for most applications. It is capable of fast follow up shots on multiple targets.

You are talking two different rifle types here. Let's narrow it down a bit and maybe we can help you pick a rifle.

fix

I think the true definition of a tactical rifle would be "The one that best suits the tactics you wish to employ". In other words, what are you planning to use it for?

STAGE 2

Yep... just read a post in the semi auto forum about a "tactical" pistol and they let him have it too. But lest I digress.... At this point in time I would like to substitute combat/military in place of the afore mentioned adjective. I'd like to keep it either .223 or .308 and semi-auto, but my prime concern is reliability and accuracy. Ok... let it rip.

Kaylee

Man, I gotta stop working so late... :p

Combat/military type rifle, CA-legal.

My vote goes for either an M1A (quite prolly the scout model), or an M1, rebarreled in .308. Likely the latter.
I'd use this one as a model (flash supressor might not be legal), in .308, and likely camo the synthetic stock to your area.

Reasons why --

A -- The main advantages of .223 are -
1 - weighs less, so you can carry more
2 - kicks less on FA
3 - smaller, so you can pack more in a mag.

Since in CA you don't have (1) or (2), and a bunch of .308 in enblocks isn't much of a hassle -- you're not really getting any of the advantages of .223. Hence, I'd stick with .308

B -- You're limited to 10 rounds anyhow, so might as well make it 8 and get better handling, indefinate storage of rounds ready to go, and no $50 magazine worries in the deal.

What you're losing (aside from the obvious)--
ability to mount optics in a decent manner. M1/M1A pattern rifles just don't do that good, IMHO.

-K

C.R.Sam

I like the idea of M1 rifle rebarreled in .308. Great for prone work, reloads fast, accurate, strong.......legal.

Since I don't live there, my primary is FAL.

Sam

Mark O

For around $1700 retail you can get one of these with a fixed 10 round mag.Kinda pricey just to get a PG.OTOH I lnow a couple of guys who've converted thier FAL's to 10 rnd fixed mags cutting the overall price of the rifle by at least half.

Attachments

• cal legal stg58.jpg
    cal legal stg58.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 117

Kaylee

Would have to be some variant or form of the classic:

AK-47.

... which is banned where Stage 2 is coming from in CA.

Hrmm.. the open topped FAL is interesting! Mark, how does that modification affect the functioning of the rifle, if at all?

Personally, I think as long as you avoid the "break open to load" or "no gas system" AR/AK knockoffs, you'll likely be fine.

Oh -- another, cheaper option is the standard SKS. Top-loading mag, 10-round strippers, decent intermediate round. You could do a HECK of a lot worse. Actually, I have to admit.. I'm really gaining a new appreciation for Siminov's little toy..

That said, I'm still going with the chopped down rebarreled M1 recommendation. ;)

-K

OF

Mark O's got it figured right. DSA has your baby :)

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=SA58T4820&storeid=1&image=sa58t48.gif

sa58t48.gif

- Gabe

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Since when does "California Legal" define best all around tactical rifle?
If your in California, your just out of luck. Simple as that. Sorry.

A stipper clip fed 10 round FAL? I'd rather have an M1 Garand if I was faced with such a limitation. .30-06 in 8 round blocks... good enough.

HKguy9

Since when does "California Legal" define best all around tactical rifle?
If your in California, your just out of luck. Simple as that. Sorry.

George, what I believe Kaylee & company meant was those are the best 'tactical' rifles under Stage2's legal condition (stuck here in CA).

In a broader sense, it's like saying that a 16" semi-auto AR is the best tactical rifle in the US (I don't know if it is, I have about 70 rounds through an AR), though a lot of us would agree that a full-auto with a collapsible stock will be even more tactical and fun, but the I-Know-What's-Good-For-You laws prevent this. Oh well :) M1A's good enough for me.

OF

It may be a crying shame, but it's still a cool rifle for CA. It's a perfect analog for CA, too: Something incredibly cool wastefully hobbled into a poor shadow of itself.

- Gabe

markmcj

Perhaps this is a bit out of place, but I'm almost to the point where I wouldn't mind hearing about guerilla movements and paramilitary operations in the PRK. Don't you people freaking vote!!!!!!

JUST A RANT!!!!!!

markmcj

RBK

Markmcj-
I keep telling those people to go to their state capital and raise mortal hell by protest. That will put an end to all the anti-second amendment problems. Last year when our legislators met and said they were voting to install a state income tax, several thousand patriots answered the call, went to the capital, protested peacfully and got results. No state income tax.
Without a doubt, if THEY had not done that, we would now have a state income tax.
GO TO YOUR STATE CAPITAL AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU THINK.
IT AIN'T GONNA HURT TO TRY!

STAGE 2

Boys Boys Boys... no need to bicker. I think I might have a way out. Lemme try this. In a year I will be off to law school somewhere on the east coast. Right now its looking like either Tennessee or Virginia. Does this affect my options? If I have to drive it back to CA at then end of my 3 years then so be it.