Best all around powder for pistols?

cpaspr

I know, I know. I just opened a can of worms. Big time.

But I'm just getting into pistol reloading, though I've had some of my gear for nearly 20 years (loaded up some deer loads for my rifles, but haven't shot all of them up yet).

Anyway, I want to reload for:
.357 mag/.38 special - S&W Model 66-2, 4"
.380 ACP - Sig P232
.40 S&W - Sig P239
.45 ACP - Ruger P90

I have about half a can of Unique left after loading up some .45ACP, 200 gr. LSWC on a friend's progressive. Is Unique a clean, fast-burning powder? Barrel lengths I'm working with are 3.6" (both Sigs) up to 4.5" (Ruger).

My dad used to use Bullseye for .38s years ago, with a 173 gr bullet. 3.6 grains, I think.

Anyway, I don't want to load up on lots of different brands of powder if I can find one that will work WELL for all 5 calibers I'll be loading for.

Thanks in advance.

rem33

I use Unique for several calibers but then I bought up quite a bit a few years ago. If I were you I think i would do some reading and checking reloading manuals as there is some newer powders out there.

cpaspr

I will,

but the manuals don't really point out which are clean, which are fast burning, etc.

They mainly seem to be a guide as to how much to use with which bullet weight to achieve whatever speed.

Jim Watson

Unique is not clean, even in the "improved formula" compared to newer flavor powders but it is very versatile and will serve your calibers as well as any single powder can. So clean the guns.

I think you list too wide a range of calibers to be served fully with one powder. Read the manuals.

gb_in_ga

Unique/Universal (which are very similar) are pretty well -- universal. I've heard that they don't work all that well in .380 ACP, and while I've not had bad results using Universal in .38 Spl I have noticed that I do get unburnt powder when loading light to moderate loads with it in that caliber, and lots of muzzle flash when loading .38 Spl +P.

For all but .357 Mag, you might want to standardize on HP-38 or W231 (which, as I understand, are actually the same powder). IMHO it is too fast to be used in moderate to heavy .357 Mag loadings. You might want to pick up a slower powder just for that purpose. Otherwise, it will do well for your other 4 rounds.

Just to start, you might want to hang on to your Unique for use with the .357 Magnum and get some HP-38 or W231 for everything else. After you use up the Unique, you might want to go with something more specific for the magnum, like H110, 2400 or H4227 -- all of which are too slow for the other 4 rounds. Personally, I like H4227, but that's just me.

cpaspr

Jim, I didn't mean to imply

that I only wanted one powder to do it all. That would be nice, but I was actually wondering if there were newer/other powders that were better than Unique for what I want to do with the guns I'll be loading for. If that means 4 different powders, well then, so be it.

I don't mind cleaning the guns (cause that means I'm actually using them). I just want some advice from people who have been doing this a lot longer than I have. I cranked out lots of bullets some 30 years ago for my dad, but he did all the setup. I was just the robot cranking the handle and making sure everything was as it was supposed to be. Now I want to know what I'm doing for myself.

cpaspr

GB_in_GA,

That's what I'm looking for. Advice like that. Save the Unique for the .357, but there is/are a better choice(s) for the others.

Thanks.

Stump1

Different purposes

call for different powders. For an all around, I agree that W231 is pretty good. My .357 is a snubbie, and it gives me a little too much muzzle flash. W231 is great in my .45ACP though. For my .357, I use IMR 700X. I also just bought a can of Blue Dot which seemed fine for .357, but I haven't tried it in .45 yet. When my .44 mag dies get in, I'll try some blue dot, but I expect to end up with W296. I haven't been reloading for a long time, but I've figured out that for my purposes, I can't use just one powder. If I had a 4" barrell or longer on my .357, I think I could get away with W231 for everything but my .44 mag

azredhawk44

Hodgdon's Titegroup should work well for just about everything you listed.

I use it for 45acp, 9mm, 400corbon, 38special, 357magnum, 44special, 44magnum. For the two magnums it is not optimal... but it works. I also keep a can of H110 handy for higher powered loads for the 44mag. My 357 is a snubby and I don't care for full bore 357mags in it, so I only use titegroup for it.

Ammo Junky

HS6 will work well with all thoes cal. You may loose 200 fps off a top load in 357 compared to H110, but it does all that can normaly be done with the rest. You can gain another 100 in 40 cal with longshot, but hs6 does it all very well.

WW 231 is my semi-universal go-to powder for just about every handgun round I reload, from .38 Spl. to .45 ACP, even including the .357 and .41 Mags.

skeeter1

Here's a site that might be of use to you...

http://www.reloadammo.com/

Lots of loads, many calibers, and many powder choices. You might be able to find one that fits your bill. The only thing I reload is .38Spl, and Hodgdon Universal works well for the run-of-the-mill range stuff, and I like W231 for the +P loads.

Blue Heeler

Only Two Are Necessary (IMO)

Revolvers WST. Autos 231.
Smaller calibers like .32 H&R are OK with 231. Follow the manual and you'll be OK.

Joe D

Titegroup will work for all of those. You will not be able to squeeze that last 100-200 fps out of the .357 with it though. My favorite powder for a .357 was H110 or 296.