Votes: 49 39.5%

Votes: 4 3.2%

Votes: 8 6.5%

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

FratBoyTX

I do not yet own a rifle, but would like to get one sooner as opposed to later. What calibre would you recomend? Uses: hunting (deer mostly) and plinking.

Thanks.
CFB

Note: I am new to rifles (except .22LR), and do not know very much about them.

WilderBill

The one you've got is the best you have.
Otherwise you might ant to specify best for what.
.22 best for cheap all day shootin', but I wouldn't hunt anything much bigger than a mouse with it.
30.06 is real fine , but not cheap.
All Magnums are cool in a bigger is better sort of way, but often are more than you really need.

C.R.Sam

Never be without a .22.

One rifle and one caliber for all the rest, I vote for the .308. More than adequate for hunting man and beast. Surplus ammo is cheap. Easy to reload for special purpose such as target, hunting, or whatever. Great plinker.

Sam

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
For "Uses: hunting (deer mostly) and plinking."

I voted for the .308 'cause it'll do both very well. Will most certainly do any deer (elk & moose are technically "deer"), ammo's cheap & if you'd care to get into reloading, bullet variety is superb in the .30 cal & casting provides all kinds of way cheap downloading fun.

(& never be w/o a .22LR)

Marko Kloos

I vote for the .308 for the reasons already mentioned. Powerful enough to do the job on everything that walks on this continent, plenty of surplus ammo around for cheap plinking, very versatile due to the many bullets available, and easy to reload.

grimel

Something in 7mm. My favorite is the 7mm Rem Mag. But I bought my mother a 7x57 mauser. In your case a 7x57 or 7mm-08, .284 Win, or .280 Rem. If you are going to reload (and I do recommend it, you just get to shoot more) it would be hard to beat a 7x57 or 7mm-08 for deer.

My other choice if coyotes and varmits were high on the list a .243 Win or 6mm Rem.

Who am I kidding? Get a 7mm for deer and a 223 for plinking and varmits. BTW, NEF makes the Handi-Rifle in 7x57 ($200 or so new) and a .223 barrel can be added when you send it back for a trigger job (trust me it will most likely need it) for $75. It's short and handy. I don't find a single shot to be a handicap, YMMV.

Glock_Racer

I voted for "other" and its for the 7.62x39. Its cheap, great feeding, and pretty accurate up to 150yards. Prefer it on an AK, but currently firing it out of an SKS for now...

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If you take up handloading, I vote for the '06. Loaded to the same pressure as the .308, it will out-perform.

If you don't get into handloading, the .308 allows the most high-power cheap plinking-type shooting. No flies on it for medium-sized game critters, either. For paper, it's a bit more accurate than the average '06.

But always have a .22 bolt-action rimfire. They allow you to continually work on your eye/trigger-finger coordination and sight picture at the absolute lowest cost.

$0.02,

Art

Bob Locke

.308 Winchester

Most accurate (by a smidge) of the .30-caliber variants.

Enough power (with premium factory loads or good handloads) to drop almost anything you'd want to put on the table.

Surplus ammo availability for when you just want to go out shooting without spending a fortune to do so.

Shorter action for quicker followup shots (if needed).

And get yourself a .22LR, too!

(Is there an echo in here?) :D

Dave R

I'm amazed that there is this much agreement. I think the "plurality" of .30-06/.308 is the most agreement I have ever seen on TFL. Cool.

Legionnaire

.308 Win for all the reasons stated. If I could add a second gun to the battery, it would be .223. Between the .308 and the .223 ya got just about everything covered.

Brian Williams

The 30-06 is and has been the best known cartridge, it has taken more game and other wild animals than most every other cartridge.

But I prefer the 7mm-08 for easy recoil and muzzleblast and great SD in the line of bullets easily reloaded for every thing from ghogs to large deer. In my win 70 classic compact it makes for a light accurate gun

weagle

I'd be happy with most any of the above mentioned rounds. But I think the 35 whelen beats them all as an all around rifle. The whelen will never be as popular as the .308 and 30.06 but I'll take a whelen every time. I'll also throw the 350 mag and 9.3 x 62 into the same class as the 35 whelen. I'd be happy with a 30.06 but happier with a 35 whelen. Good shooting, Weagle

.223, Just like the cartridge, very low recoil, cheap, and can put down most anything I'm shooting (No it won't drop a bear, but bear don't live around here) 2nd would be .22 and 3rd would be 30-06.

Long Path

.243 :p

Given your stated uses-- if you remain in TX, .243's are a pleasure to shoot (low recoil), highly accurate, and will put down any deer in Texas.

Drawback: not as much plentiful cheap surplus plinking ammo in .243 as there is in .308.

Plus: 50 rounds of it in an afternoon of plinking will not beat your shoulder to death, and it's slightly less expensive to reload for.

That said, I've absolutely nothing against the .308 nor the '06, and plan to be hunting with an even heavier rifle here in TX this season. But it's overkill. I just want to blood my .35 Whelen, is all. ;)

--L.P.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
I Voted for the .30-06 - - -

- - -Because it's probably the best ALL AROUND rifle for me. Everyone's personal taste and results may differ. Isn't it great we live where we have such a rich and varied bunch of choices available?

With my '06 I can make do for anything I'm apt to hunt on this continent. I certainly wouldn't advise using it for the great bears, but, with proper ammo, would make a fairly good showing. And, okay, it is more gun than I need for coyote. And it really isn't as accurate at trmendous ranges as a match-tuned .308. Sure is minute-of-whitetail, though.

I'd better shut up now - - I'm about to talk myself out of blooding my .308 Savage on mule deer next month.

For those who prefer other rifles, bless you all. Hope you enjoy them as much as I have my 'aught-sixes.

Best,
Johnny

T-Rex

.22 Hands down. It's easy to shoot well. It's quiet. It's cheap enough that I tend to shoot it a lot, and that leads back to the first reason. Ammo is easily available,small, light, accurate, cheap, and if placed correctly, will kill anything I'm ever likely to run up against. I grew up on a farm, and I've seen full grown steers drop like a sack of sand, due to a single properly placed .22lr on butchering day. Same thing with 350 pound hogs. It's not the weapon of choice for a lot of applications, but I've got to go with it for best "all around". Second place goes to .12ga. After that, it's a toss-up for which .30 calibre round you like best.