Best affordable revolver?

David the Gnome

I've been wanting to add a revolver to my collection but I can't bring myself to pay over $500 for one. What's the best revolver in the $300-400 range? Not planning on using it for CC or self-defense. Just a gun that's fun to shoot and can handle a little snake shot for camping. ;)

fisherman66

MSRP is not the same as RETAIL. I purchased a new Ruger rifle for about 30% off MSRP recently.

I would encourage anyone to use the revolver checkout in this forum to buy a used GP100 (or the 686 which is in the same genre of value/durability).

chupps

The revolver check out post on this forum helped me greatly. I'd look for a good, used s&w or ruger before I'd buy a new revolver. I found a good s&w 586 for $375 and I love it.

darko

For that price range you will be best off with a Ruger or a Taurus. Take a look at the Taurus 608. Not only is it a beautiful gun but it is ported for reduced recoil and fires a whopping eight rounds of 357mag or 38spl if you like a lighter load. They run around $400 (new) around here.

2rugers

I'll second passing on anything ported and recommend getting a Ruger sp101 3" .357.

Only about $350.00 to $375.00 out the door for a good used one with box.

Durable, accurate, fairly concealable, you just can't go wrong with it.

Majic

With $300 to $400 to shop with you have a wide choice of Smiths, Rugers, Colts, Dan Wessons, and Taurus to choose from on the used market.

wdelack

I would lean towards a Ruger Speed-Six/Security-Six/Service-Six. Buy the revolver, ammo and a nice holster and not have broken your $400 max. You can get a Dan Wesson model 15 (357) in that price range as well. Then you have the option of changing barrel lengths (from 2.5" all the way to 15") at a later time.

samsmix

How about any used Smith or Ruger in .38 or .357?

Smith & Wesson:

M-10, M-15, M-19, M-66 or one of the M-1917 .45 ACPs.

Ruger:

GP-100, GP-100, GP-100, GP-100, GP-100. . .or even perhaps a Blackhawk.

. . . and don't discount the idea of a good .22 revo, such as a single-six, bearcat, M-17 or M-(whatever a J-.22 is called).

samsmix

For a GREAT bang for little cash, I second the security-six, speed-six, or service -six. Good guns for only about $250-$300.

tomh1426

S&W model 10 4"hb , J&G usually has them for around $150
They also have some nice S&W 15's for $320.
I never owned a Ruger DA revolver for some reason

+1 to the Rugers. Either the GP100 or the SP101. Both are amazing guns for the price. They are not the lightest in the world but great for the range and they will last forever.

RugerGP100.jpg

RugerSP101.jpg