Best 9mm self defense SD ammunition less than 4" barrel

Please read all answers first. Best SD ammo 9mm handgun less than 4" barrel? Why?

• Federal HST 147gr P9HST2

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P SB (short barrel)

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • The Speer, doesn't matter which one

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 23 29.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jabineer

Under 4" - Corbon DPX 115 +p

As an aside, I have an ample supply of the first two you listed and I won't hesitate one second to carry them should my Corbon stock dry up.

Reason: Because the most street experienced, deadliest and trustworthy dude I admire in matters of self-defense told me so.

brentfoto

Please state 'objective' reasons for views. Because one person may have told you so does not make it gospel. It's just one man's opinion.

What is the history for the Cor-Bon on the street? Does that matter? What about other factors? Thanks.

azsixshooter

I'm happy shooting 124 gr Federal HST +P but that is out of my 4" SA XD9. I don't see why it wouldn't be just as great out of a shorter barrel.

mec

I shot these through five or six inches of lean beaf brisket from an STI Rogue. Of course, it's not ballistic geliten calibrated by a bb at 300 fps but neither is is chopped liver:
attachment.php

average velocities 3" 1049,1062,1319
Just a a guess I would just guess that jaboneer's street experienced, deadliest and trustworthy dude didn't just spring fully armed out of a video game.

Last edited:

Cowart

I'm intrigued by the fact that 3 people chose Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P long barrel version vs. the short barrel version of same, even though the topic is less than 4" barrels. Seems counter-intuitive...

Borch

Any JHP 9mm round that is light enough and hot enough to break 1100 fps. The bullets do not reliably expand at velocities less than 1100. If it's not a hollow point it should be range only as the penetration is far too high for safe use in an SD situation. Massad Ayoob wrote a great article on this very subject a few years ago, but I can't remember which magazine he wrote it for.

PeterGunn

For the poll, I selected the Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P as it has a great reliablity record and is an effective performer. All of that said, FWIW I would recommend the COR-BON 115gr. +p JHP. These rounds are quite hot and have excellent performance out of most 9mm pistols. The best virtue of the 9mm is velocity and the COR-BON has got that down pat.

The bigger question is which of these or other rounds feed well in YOUR 9mm and is accurate from YOUR barrel. All things being equal, some platforms/guns like different ammo. You need to find out which one works best and go with that one. Just put rounds where you want them and leave the "majik" bullet stuff for the gun rags!

HK123

I forgot to mention that I use DPX as well, but I switched over to HST because of cost. I cycle my carry ammo through each of my guns at least once every 2 months. That means I need to purchase a fresh box. In the case of DPX I need 2 boxes because they only come in boxes of 20. Since 20 rounds of DPX is roughly $30 and I can get 50 rounds of Federal HSt for $20, I can definately see the benefit of going with HST. Both are good rounds, but the HST does expand to a larger diameter. DPX would have better penetration by a slight margin. Especially if you're firing through a barrier of some kind.

jabineer

Hola Brent,

There is only one man whose Word is gospel and John isn't Him, for sure, so you certainly have a valid rebut about one's man's opinion. For me, though, John's word is bondable in this context.

But, for the sake of stirring the court of public opinion some more, I submit to you the following:

Howze about John Farnam as a creditable source:
http://www.gunthorp.com/ammo basics.htm

The relevant stuff is toward the bottom.

Of course, here's the infamous "Anonymous" publication on Chuck Hawks' site:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

If I was a betting man, which I'm not because then I would not be a good steward of the Lord's money, "Anonymous" is code for "M.A."

Then here's Mr Stephen Camp's take:
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon 9mm 115.htm

Finally, Evan Marshall has a say about Corbon in general:
http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi.../PSZ/?Template=ProdDetail.htm&ProductID=18847

Check under the heading "Stopping Power"

Finally, finally, we all know there really is no definitive right answer here. We haven't even qualified what "best" means. But, can we all agree it's fun to strut our stuff no matter its true value?

Bon apetito...

mec

the interesting thing about the dpx loads is that the two stopping power gurus who disagree about a lot of things both like it. Clint Smith likes it so much that CorBon is now boxing a couple of loads in Thunder Ranch designer packages.
The 9 mm and 45 bullets wind up with the same degree of expansion regardless of barrel lenght or the pressure rating.

HK123

If corbon would get over itself and make 50round boxes it may be worth using again. It won't happen...

HST is just as good for me.

Gatorhugger

Borch you may want to rethink the "light enough and hot enough to break 1100 FPS, bullets that don't reach 1100 don't reliably expand"
That is book talk.

See these 147grainers in Talon and HST ? They expand everytime, and when you recover them and feel the bone crushing heft, you will give up the 115 grainers. They keep going when 115's stop. Try em.

bulletstesting020.jpg

Gatorhugger

That's a Slow 900 FPS heavy 147 grain talon in the upper left. Looks like a recovered stalk of broccoli!! Heavy, deep penetrator, that will always open up.
Awesome bullet.

The bottom bullet is an even slower .380 caliber 102 grain Golden saber.
You get a good bullet, that 1000 FPS rule is urban myth.
Either one would wreck your day.

bulletstesting016.jpg

brentfoto

I haven't voted yet in my poll.

I'm starting to believe the 147gr HST is the better round.

I've shot fifty of them over the past months, and just purchased two more boxes of fifty yesterday.

However, prior experience led me to believe the Speer is more accurate out of my pistol-a Kahr CW9.

I'm going to do more shooting with the HST. Then make a determination and VOTE, and perhaps change my carry round to it, maybe not. Time and practice will tell...

The HST is more reasonably priced. I can get it locally for $21.95 plus tax for 50-rd. box. I really want to favor the HST because the GD, unless you buy from that guy on Gunbroker, is just too high in price; it also doesn't penetrate that well in bare ballistic gelatin. The Cor-Bon is so priced as to not merit further consideration. I strongly believe that you must practice with your carry or SD round, or a clone reload if you can.

Cor-Bon is just too expensive. At a premium price, and only offered in boxes of 20, and with my need to practice with same, I say 'no deal'! IMO, the purported benefits of the round over the others do not outweigh or justify the high price.

And don't anyone say 'Isn't your life worth it'? I guess it isn't, or perhaps maybe I'll never have to shoot the darn thing in anger-ever! So you 'paranoids' out there-GET A GRIP ON THINGS, PLEASE! :D

Additionally, I believe the HST is the duty round for the SDPD, and I live in San Diego County.

So, Cor-Bon is out; it will be either HST or the GD for this guy.

Last edited: