Best 9mm Luger load for paper shooting?

HiltonFarmer

I know there are several of those that reload solely for their handguns. :) Given my newness to the hobby of reloading, I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for loads in my CZ75B 9mm.

In your opinion, which bullet, primer, and powder makes for the best load to target shoot?

Thanks

HiltonFarmer

klcmschlesinger

I use Winchester primers, Alliant powder (readily available and cheap), and just about any bullets that are on sale. I load both lead and copper, just depending on what is cheap. These are my plinking rounds. You can work up from there.

WestWorld

I load a lot of Ranier/WestCoast plated 124gr Round nose over 4.2 - 4.4 of Unique at 1.150oal with CCI primers. 4.2 of Unique (1020fps)cycles well in my SP-01 and I'll bump it to 4.4grains of Unique (1060fps) if I want/need alittle more velocity.

cheygriz

MilSurp cases, Remington 1 1/2 primers, Remington 115 FMJ (or Rainier 115 gr plated) Winchester 231 or Hodgdon HP38, start low and work up to what's most accurate in your particular gun.

Shoney

Hilton Farmer - - always treat loads from these forums with great caution. Do not use any load unless you have confirmed them thru an authoritative source. Errors in typing have been known to happen, thas 5sure if you gut my dirft.

Your particular pistol may prefer one load over another, and that applies to factory ammo as well. Finickey firearms are frustrating, so what works for one shooter/pistol may not work in your weapon, even if it is the same make and model. For economy, I prefer hardcast lead and plated lead bullets in bulk, primers do not seem to make much difference in accuracy, and try to get the powders that shoot most accurately after testing (HP38 = W231, and HS6 = W540 are good choices).

HiltonFarmer

always treat loads from these forums with great caution. Do not use any load unless you have confirmed them thru an authoritative source. Errors in typing have been known to happen, thas 5sure if you gut my dirft.

Sound advice indeed Shoney.

I have been using Speer 124gr GDHP, Power Pistol 6.0 grns, with Winchester casings and CCI primers. I tried to mirror the factory loads (Winchester WinClean 124gr) as best I could with the manuals that I had available.

They just don't seem to have the pop the factory loads did. Would I be using the wrong powder maybe??

HiltonFarmer

Branspop

They just don't seem to have the pop the factory loads did. Would I be using the wrong powder maybe??

Felt recoil can be deceiving. Different powders have different burn characteristics. This will alter your felt recoil. Bullet weights can also have an impact on felt recoil. A chronograph is the only sure way to gauge load performance.

JDG

I have been using Speer 124gr GDHP, Power Pistol 6.0 grns, with Winchester casings and CCI primers. I tried to mirror the factory loads (Winchester WinClean 124gr) as best I could with the manuals that I had available.

HiltonFarmer

6.0grs power pistol, has plenty of pop, with 115gr fmj. Feel hotter than WWB or Fed American Eagle. But thats in my gun:D

CHAINSAW

Found a load using Hornady 115 grain FMJ in the Hornady book. It suggested AA#2. I used this in all my 9's with the Hornady bullet. In newer manuals the top load the older manual suggested is a no-no. I had always stayed 1/2 grain under that anyway.

Just goes to show you need to be observant.

CrustyFN

Berry's 124 grain FN with 4.1 grains of Titegroup and CCI small pistol primer shoot nice in my CZ 75BD Police.
Rusty