Best .45 defense round?

MR.G

What is the best .45 acp defense round? Is a lighter and faster jhp better than the heavier 230 grain?

Johnc

It depends on which test you look at and who you listen to. The Strasbourg Tests show the Mag Safe to be high on the list. I now carry this in my XD-45, Glock 23, AMT 380 and two Smith & Wesson wheel guns. Is there a better load out there for self defense, maybe. I hope I neither of us ever need to find out.

vostracker

45 ammo

Being a retired LEO and having carried all kinds of ammo and seeing gunshot victims, I would recommend Federal EFMJ ammo. Doesnt have a cavity like JHP that can fail to expand. Consistent exspansion. Funtions like FMJ ammo. Especially good for guns which are sensitive to JHP ammo.

CarbineCaleb

I agree with the above posters. The .45 is a fat bullet to begin with, and so in lighter weights, can have penetration problems - the DPX is an exception because it uses a lower drag construction. Otherwise, I'd prefer a 230gr Gold Dot load, and the Double Taps, as always, do have some extra oomph. The Double Taps are actually very reasonably priced for premium ammo. Georgia Arms makes even less expensive Gold Dot loads. Speer is really the standard bearer in my mind, and I don't think you will ever go wrong with them.

KW-Bane

this might be a strange analogy but...if you were a crash dummy strapped to the crash wall, which would you want to crash into you:

a car going 75mph or an 18-wheeler going 55mph?

The bigger/heavier would cause more damage even tho its slower.

I know...I'm thinking way out there.....it's late...I better go to bed:rolleyes:

I personally carry Federal Tactical Bonded 230-gr HPs in my Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro. They function flawlessly and are loaded to provide optimum performance in short-barreled weapons.:cool:

BobK

THERE IS NO BEST!

Pick one. Make sure it works in YOUR gun and shoots to point of aim. The rest is up to you.

Quintin

I don't know if it's "best," but I use Remington 230gr Golden Sabers. They feed reliably in my gun and shoot to point of aim. Works for me.

10milg29

I used to carry Ranger 230 grain +P with great results. It's got a little more recoil but the terminal pay off seems worth it.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Double Tap 230 grain Gold Dots either.

Gazpacho

I'm pretty partial to the ones you find inside of a bad guy at the back of the skull, or firmly lodged in the spinal column.

BikerRN

I'm carrying 185 Grain +P JHP's by Corbon right now in my 4" Barrel Revolver. I will soon switch to 230 Grain +P JHP's by Black Hills due to finding a bunch at a "steal" of a price.

Once you start chopping inches off the standard 5" Barrel you start losing velocity rapidly in the .45 ACP. That's why I use the 185's. I don't think either round will fail me if I do my part. My main consideration for ammo is, JHP and +P, in the .45 ACP that is.

Biker

Jason_G

I shoot a 185 grain JHP that is 1000 fps and makes 410 ft-lbs. Just a little shy of +P designation. Compare that to a fast (900 fps) 230 grain that makes 412 ft-lbs of energy. The 185 grain is plenty capable and has a whole lot less recoil than the 230 grain, and you're only trading away about 2 ft-lbs of energy.
The recoil difference is pretty significant, too.

Jason