Best 44 Mag Lever Action Carbine?

jtduncan

Got a nice shiny 20 year old Ruger Redhawk, SS, in 44 mag, 7.5 inch barrel for deer and hog hunting.

Now I'd like a 44 mag carbine to back it up with for those 100 to 150 yard shots beyond my comfort zone with the Redhawk.

I'd like the gun to be capable of 2-3" groups at 100 yards.

Was talking to a fellow college professor who is a bigtime cowboy shooter and he loves his Rossi Puma Win 94 Trapper clone he bought NIB for $300. While I intend to hunt and target shoot with it, there may be some Buffalo Warrior left in me.

Seems as if Rossi has been making these in 357 for a while too. Limited reports but all good so far. Even available in SS but wouldn't that like silly?

Of course, there is the Marlin 1894 and the Win Trapper 94.

My reserach so far indicates that the 1894s are ammo sensitive for some and some people dono't like the feel of their lever. They are about $370 here NIB.

Heard the Win 94 has a good feel and will feed most ammo. They run about $360 NIB here.

Kentucky Imports sells the Rossi Puma's for about $275 NIB.

I need a carbine to feed LSWCs, LFPs and the like.

And a 9 or 10 round tube is nice too. So I can send more lead downrange with a carbine than my Redhawk and improve my riflemanship too.

Are these carbines good to go to buy used?

Which one do you have and like?

P

PreserveFreedom

A friend of mine has a couple of Marlin 44 Magnum leverguns. I am not sure about the accuracy but I know he is real happy with them.

J.T.King

From one JT to another...

Hey jt,

I just went through your decision myself. My father owns a Win94 Legacy and I have fired that quite a bit. He also is not entirely happy with it: mainly because of the barrel and the action.

The Marlin action functions a bit smoother and "feels" more solid. If you can, compare them head to head in a gun store. Rack the actions like 5 times in a row on each gun. I found that the more "squared-off" lever of the Marlin didnt bother me at all.

The Win94 comes in a bunch more barrel lengths thanthe MArlin does. A buddy of mine who cowboy shoots said that the Win94 is not as conducive to action jobs las compared to the Marlin.

Finally, the Cowboy version of the marlin has the heavier octoganal barrel with checkering. Its fit and finish is superb for an out-of-the-box gun, IMHO. Two downsides to the cowboy is it only comes in a 24" barrel and weighs about a pound more.

Also, the Marlin isnt availible in shorter barrel lenghts without porting unless you get .357 or spend the $$$ on a limited edition version.

Me personally, if I was looking for a .44mag lever action and the MArlin was LESS money than a Win94, it would be a slam dunk. Buy the Marlin. I mean it!

JT

as usual, YMMV, FWIW, IMHO, and all that....

44rugerfan

Still like the Redhawk jt? Told you it was a nice gun... :D
Now that things are looking up I've got a Super Blackhawk on layaway, and I plan to get one of those cute 96/44's for my wife as her deer rifle (at least that's what I'm telling her). I really like the short throw of the lever, you can flick it and not take your hand off the stock. I just wish someone would make a mag that held more than four rounds though....

Swamp Yankee

Don't know if it's the best but I really enjoy my Marlin 1894P. The only change I made was the installation of a Williams Peep Sight. Mine has eaten any and all ammo without a hiccup. The lever was a little stiff at first but is smoothing out nicely. I was going to have the gunsmith work on it but he said to wait until I had about 5 boxes of ammo through it to see how it broke in. I sighted mine in at 75 yards and was able to hold 3-1/2 inch groups. With a scope I'm sure it would do better. (As much as I hate to admit it the eyes have gone the way of the old grey mare)
Would not be afraid to purchase one used if it was in good condition.
Take Care

jtduncan

Yes 44rugerfan. I love that Redhawk. Shoots easy 2" groups at 50 yards offhand. Now I'm working on my supported stances to see if I can focus down to 1" groups at 50 yards.

I've had a trigger job and a Wolff spring set installed. I need to bump the trigger springs up for 13 or 14 pounds though. I get an occassional DA light primer strike. SA is flawless. But that's just 10 minutes of my gunsmith's time to make that adjustment.

I've handled almost all of them and really think the Marlin 1894 is the most solid built. I just something for more fpe at 100 and 140 yards.

Here in Washington, you don't get shot past that based upon our hills and dense forests.

But what is the deal with porting on the 1894P?

K

KilgorII

Either one will work.

The Marlin is a little more solid feeling, has checkered wood, and is also heavier.

The Winchester's lever does move side to side a little, has smooth wood, and is a little lighter.

With the angle eject Winchester's don't throw brass straight up (as was the most common complaint about older ones) and you can scope them over the top, just like a Marlin... so that is not an advantage for the Marlin.

The Marlins are stiff when brand new, but break in to feel great. The Winchester (to me) feels great from the box.

Either will do you fine... if you feel more confidence in the Marlin, then get that.

I found that 24 grains of H110 with a 240 grain XTP gives 1770 fps from a 16" barrel.

Kilgor

BTW, make sure to get Ballard style rifling if you want to shoot lead. Avoid the microgroove unless shooting jacketed only.

Commygun

Hell, I'm delighted that there's a couple of college professors in
Seattle (U of W?) who like to shoot lever actions. Given the biases
in academia these days that's a note of hope.

jtduncan

Commygun:

I'm a part-time faculty member at the University of Phoenix, Seattle Campus.

Lots of the law profs and local judges support the 2nd Amendment.

I've been proud to have a half dozen law enforcement officers over the years.

jtduncan

I'm Going With The Marlin!!!

Thanks folks.

I just handled both the Win 94 and the Marlin 1894.

Like the feel of the Marlin better. Feels sturdier.

Now 1894 with a 20" or 24" barrel or a 1894P with a shoter barrel?

Why go for porting?

I plan to target shoot out to 150 yards and hunt hog and deer with it.

J.T.King

From what I've been told...

Hey JT!

I went through the SAME decision on length as you... funny how that works! I guess great minds think alike! :D

In any case, My personal opinion is NOT to go with porting. On a short gun with hot cartriges, porting can throw unburnt powder back into your face. Also, if you are shooting in low light conditions, porting really puts up some flash out of those ports.

The barrel length is somewhat a personal choice here, but since you are going with the 44mag, those rounds have enough hasen-pheffer to get some benefit out of a longer barrel, plus the longer barrel will resist muzzle rise better. Unless you are trying to fit it on a horse or in the back of a 1960's Jeep CJ5 (like me!) I suspect thte longer barrel will serve you better.

Its really what you find to be balanced well. Do the same side-by-side handling jobby... See which length ballences better and naturally goes to point-of-aim better for you. I personally dont care for the hooded sights on the smaller rifles, but then again, I went for the Cowboy version, so that may not apply to the MArlin you are looking at.

To sum up MY opinion, I am NOT a fan of porting (this IS a lever action shooting a pistol round after all, not some sporty elk killer for the alaskan safari:p ), but the length is really where you see the trade off in longer sight picture, balance, and recoil control.

What did I get? a limited edition 20" 45LC Cowboy wit hthe octoganal barrel and checkering. 'course I had to outlay a cool $630 for that too.

Good luck!

JT

as ususal, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, and all that...

PaulTX

I've only had unburnt powder in my Marlin 1894P with one load. I reload and have varied the type and amount of powder considerably.