"Best" .380 ammo.

Peachy

Yes, I know, there is no "best" beyond what feeds well in your gun and what you can hit with. But I'd like to hear some personal experience with the humble .380.

I'm considering trying some Cor-bon DPX in my Bersa. What say you?

Peachy

carnesee

Cor-Bon DPX tests.

The following was written by John Farnam on TheHighRoad.com forum after two weekends of testing.

The one round that expanded consistently and completely, despite the leathe r and denim barrier, in all calibers, was Cor-Bon's DPX! DPX, in 40S &W, 45ACP, 357SIG, 38Super, and 45AutoRim, were all unimpressed by the leather and denim. Even 380Auto DPX, out of my little Kel-Tec, was immune. It expande d symmetrically and completely, penetrating nine inches of gelatin, after penetrating the clothing.

I am more persuaded than ever that DPX provides superior performance in the widest spectrum of circumstances, consistently outperforming any other bullet of which I am aware.

.40cal

I am more persuaded than ever that DPX provides superior performance in the widest spectrum of circumstances, consistently outperforming any other bullet of which I am aware.

+1 on the DPX . I recently purchaced some corbon Pow'R Ball in 9mm and love the accuracy. However, I am seriously considering the DPX for two reasons.

1. 100% weight retention due to a lead free design

2. Hard barrier penetration

Corbon is claiming a velocity of 1050fps from a 2.5 inch barrel in the .380. Thats pretty impressive.

virg

The Hornady Critical Defense 380's are getting good reviews. Reliable expansion even through barriers and good penetration as well.

Jbb6811

i use speer gold dot and winchester pdx.

after backyard testing.....i through out hornady!

0519001849.jpg

left to right....winchester..speer...hornady.

all 40 cal. shot into water jugs from 8-10 yards

AustinTX

The Buffalo Bore 90-grain JHP certainly seems to be the hottest JHP load available. Does anyone know how it stacks up in expansion and penetration? Who manufactures the bullet BB is using?

Water-Man

Would someone post the results of the Cor-Bon DPX outperforming the Buffalo Bore 100gr +P Hardcast FN? Thank you.

LockedBreech

I use Remington Golden Saber, because it is a generally respected round, but mostly because my LCP cycles it very smoothly and reliability is priority #1 for me.

MikeNice81

I've used the Cabela's exclusive Hornady TAP-FPD .380. It fed fine and felt like it had as much kick as any other "premium" .380 ammo I've shot.

The Corbon DPX round seems to get all of the love. However, I like the Double Tap loaded Barnes bullet just as much if not more. It seems to have less muzzle flash.

orionengnr

In every review I have read

The DPX seems to get consistent expansion no matter what it goes through. This seems to apply to all calibers. If you get a chance, check out Stephen Camp's many well-researched and written posts.

There is no such thing as a "magic" bullet. However, now and then there is a breakthrough in design. IMHO, the all-copper Barnes bullet may be one of those.

I carry the DPX in several calibers. It's only disadvantage is cost (and perhaps, availability).

Brian48

When I'm not carrying plain ol' FMJ ball, I usually carry Speer Gold Dots. For a rather weak cartridge like the .380, my preference would be the hot Buffalo Bore 100gr hard caste for an all-around load, however I can't get any in my area and ammo companies are either hesitant or flat out won't ship to MA.

bald1

I prefer Buffalo Bore +P 100gr HardCast. I also like Winchester 95gr FMJ Flat Nose (most accurate out of my P238), Remington 102gr Golden Saber JHP, and CorBon 90gr +P JHP. The HPs see carry in summer whereas the solids are my winter ammo to be able to penetrate the heavy clothing cold demands.

Peachy

Thanks

Good feed back. My Bersa has digested successfully most of the ammo suggested plus many others. I have not tried the DPX yet. Stopped by the gun store just for kicks as I do once a week or so. A box of 20 was selling for $29.99!

Ouch! Gues I'll have to "bite the bullet" but still, a $1.50 a round?

Thanks again!

Peachy

Big Bill

In a 380 or other HD/SD round, I don't want penetration without expansion. In a 380, 9"s of penetration with great expansion is all I can ask for. So, the Cor-bon DPXs look good to me.

.40cal

I prefer Buffalo Bore +P 100gr HardCast. I also like Winchester 95gr FMJ Flat Nose

I read up on this on Buffalo Bores site and it looks promising but what exactly does the hardcast do. This might sound stupid but does it expand?

Also, why don't they make this in 9mm?:confused: