Best 357 HD ammo?

dean1818

I recently came accross a great condition Ruger SP101 3" in 357 at a pawn shop.

It was too good of a price to pass up.

Its my very first revolver, so i am counting on some expertise from the forum.

So my questions are such

What would be a good defensive round?

I currently carry Corbon DPX in my M&P 45 compact and my kahr CM9.

I was looking at the specs on the buffalo bore 38 +p and it looks to hit almost as hard as a 357 without the fireball and bang.

(in home would seem to be a disaster for my ears with full boat 357)

I would use 357 when I am in the woods

I am also looking at holsters as well and am leaning toward another Crossbreed, but would seek inputs on anyone that does IWB CCW for the SP

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Whirlwind06

Buffalo Bore also has .357 low flash, lower recoil SD rounds also.
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=105

S&W mod. 340PD 1-7/8 inch barrel -1,015 fps (361 ft. lbs.)
S&W mod. 66 2-1/2-inch barrel -1,097 fps (422 ft. lbs.)
S&W mod. 65 3-inch barrel -1,172 fps (481 ft. lbs.)
S&W Mt. Gun 4-inch barrel -1,232 fps (532 ft. lbs.)
Colt Python 6-inch barrel -1,198 fps (503 ft. lbs.)

WARNING-shooting this ammo out of revolvers weighing less than 16 OZ. produces tremendous felt recoil. We recommend our +P 38 SPL ammo for revolvers that weigh less than 16 OZ. if you are recoil sensitive.

Crossbreed are good holsters. I tend to go with leather single clip or dual snaps type holsters. Those seem to work the best for my carry and body style.

I just ordered this http://www.theholsterstore.net/product-info.php?pid4459.html for a 3 inch J-frame. I expect it will fit pretty well.

Last edited:

ronto

I use 357 Magnum Speer 135gr GDHP "Short Barrel" ammo in my 2 1/4" DAO SP101.
I carry in a Mika Pocket Holster.

chewie146

I no longer have a .357 snubbie...long story, but I now have a .38 snubbie. Both are Smith and Wesson. With those, I'm much more comfortable with .38 specials regarding shot recovery times. With the .357, I just can't control it as well. That being said, with the heavier Ruger, it may not be a problem. Take a look at Buffalo Bore, but I'm more intrigued by Gold Dot SB ammo. All this aside, I carry .38 special SWC (non HP) or .38 special hornady critical defense in mine.

Crazy88Fingers

I load Remington Golden Sabers in my Security Six. They're a pretty mild .357, but a step up from .38 +p. In that SP-101 I agree that some short-barrel .357 ammo or .38 +p would be the best way to go. Either round will put a hurtin' on someone.

Walklightly

Walmart Rem. 125g SJHP.:rolleyes:

That's if you don't want to drive all over town, this is what I load for HD. Trust me, it's one of the best bangs for the buck, two holes are better than one.:D

Last edited:

Budda

I love a wheel gun for CCW/home protection. No safety to worry about, no clip to loose, no ftf or fte jamming/clearing drills to learn.
The SP-101 is a great looking and very capable revolver. I used to have one, and I am still sore over selling it. But I agree with the .38+p round for self defence. The .357 is a very loud round and lots of recoil out of a snubbie. with the .38 any mortal two legged varmint will go down fast.