Best .308 bullet for 1 in 12" twist?

salvo

I'm going to start loading .308 for my H&K 91. It has a 18" barrel with 1 in 12" twist what bullet weight would most likley be the most accurate for this rate of twist?

Archie

Salvo... do you remember algebra?

Longer bullets (normally heavier) must be spun faster than shorter bullets.

With an 18" barrel, you have a minimal (relative) velocity to spin your bullets. The 12" twist is traditionally a "slow" twist for 30 caliber rifles. Then again, the 10" twist derives from the 220 grain bullet in the 30-03 cartridge.

Your 91 was most likely designed to fire the 7.62 Nato round. The standard loading is a 147 grain bullet. Therefore, I suggest you start with that bullet. The second bullet I would try would be the 168 grain HPBT.

If I remember, the 91 is "roller locked" and does not have a gas system. So you have a fair margin of pressure levels without breaking something. If I'm wrong and you do have a gas system, the pressure levels are somewhat restricted.

As always, get a couple loading manuals and read up.

Forgot: Check out these web sites for twist information.

http://www.recguns.com/VIIIB6.html

Has a discussion regarding twist rates.

DAVID NANCARROW

FWIW, I have a Remington VS 308 with a 1:12 twist, and it handles weights from 125 to 180 grain bullets very nicely, with no measurable accuracy difference between the 150/165/168/180's.

i've got an FAL (Sorry i don't know the twist ) and too lazy to measure right now but i know this for a fact--it will shoot 147 gr bulk purchase bullets more accurately than it will the 168 gr Sierra Match bullets so i can tell you that twist is everything but try some of each you never know until you do.....Dick