Best .22 pistol for couple hundred

CAP1

I'm looking at getting a .22 pistol to get my 2 daughters into shooting soon. I'm looking for recommendations on .22 pistols, both revolvers and semi-auto. $300-400 price range.
Thanks,
CAP

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
For a " Beginner's Gun"

Greeting's Carlton,

My recommendation would be to get a Ruger MK-II (KMK-512),
as it is a .22 LR caliber target pistol with these feature's:

Fully adjustable target sight's, bull barrel, and stainless steel
construction.

Price range should be near the $290.00 + applicable taxes.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

mattjoe

what they said. you really can't go wrong with a ruger.
I do prefer the ruger 22/45 as i believe the controls; safety, mag release and such, are in a better place. Same with a browning buck mark.
Each relatively inexpensive.

CWL

Ruger MKII, preferable used because they really don't break.

Don't get the longest barrel models because they can sometimes be too heavy & fatiguing for girls.

Buckmark may be easier to dissassemble & clean though...

Swamp Yankee

Either the Browning Buckmark or the Ruger MKII. Both are well made and carry excellent reputations.
I prefer the Browning Buckmark, only because the grip angle is more to my liking.
Suggest you stay away from the Walther P22. Mine was nothing but a nightmare. If you do a search you'll find many other members had similiar bad experiences with the Walther. New shooters do not need the aggravation of a poorly functioning pistol.
Another alternative in a revolver would be the Ruger Single Six. It's a single action, relatively easy for a new shooter to master.
Take Care

Selfdfenz

IF you can find one, an H&R 999 Sportsman with a 6 inch barrel. Its a 9 shot model.
Its also a breakopen model DA/SA IIRC so no mags are required and its got some features that make it easy for the beginner to shoot safey and with confidence. I still see them occassionally at gunshows new and used. Well under 200 for a used one.

NEF also made some inexpensive but sort-of crudely made revolvers but I have no actual trigger time with any of them. I hear they were accurate but they seemed a little homely too.

The new Beretta autoloaders will be out soon and they will be around 200.

Take care,

S-

Lavan

My old Ruger Single Six

would shoot 1" groups offhand at 50 feet. It was a wonderful gun. Sorry I no longer have it.

Also a REAL good learning gun as it does not have one in the chamber unless you do something to put it there.

For feminine hands, maybe even the Bearcat.

I don't like semiautos for beginners. USUALLY ok but why chance it?

Hutch

Ditto on the Ruger. For 3-4 hunnert, you should be able to find a K22, either an M17 or M18, used. Hard to beat for teaching the fundamentals.

bpisler

Ruger MkII,22/45, browning buckmark,maybe the taurus 941 revolver.I would take my kids along to see which one they like and fits them the best.

HarryB

My daughter fired a handgun for the first time last week. Obliterated the 10 ring with a Ruger MK II slabside/red dot. From a rest...

One of the shorter barreled Rugers (MK II or 22/45) should fit the bill. Be sure to watch their muzzle at all times and load one at a time at first.

I might have to go alone next time to get any trigger time! Another daughter is itching to try out the new .22...

VictorLouis

If only Ruger would make a version of the BearCat

with adjustable sights.:( Since they don't, any of the S&W J-frame series is your next best bet. I would avoid the latest snub-barreled models, particularly w/fixed sights. Besides the fact you have no way to tailor it to your ammo, their triggers are notoriously hard. A used steel M34 in blue, or a used M63 stainless should all be found for around that $300 mark. For a bit more, the M43 in blued steel with an Airweight alloy frame is also a great choice. The size and weight of the excellent K-frame guns may be too much for your kids. You'll have to check for yourself.

In autoloaders, there's really only two choices: Ruger and Browning. Ruger's steel frame MKIIs have a smaller grip, but their mags are a royal pain to load. Guess who your kid's will turn to for that chore?:eek: The plastic frame 22/45 is a lot lighter, less fatiguing and has much more thumb-friendly magazines(No, they don't interchange). IF your kids can get a good firing grip on it, that would be my suggestion in Ruger.

Browings have alloy frames for lighter weight, and easy to load mags. They've got a model particularly suited for kids called the Challenge. The grip-frame is reduced in size to be even smaller around than the MK Rugers. The tapered barrel is at 4", IIRC. An added plus with BuckMarks is that you can see the chamber for safety no matter which side the gun is laid down on.

DD698

22 Pistols

Carlton: Ill vote for the Ruger,unless you can find a good High Standard that is used. I have two , a trophy and a citation with 7.25 fluted barrels. They are reliable and will drive tacks.

gryphon

I've always like the Browning Buck Mark myself. I have the Camper model and I got it on sale or $180NIB. I think the regular price here in central Ohio is around $220.

Chop Farwood

Can't go wrong with a Ruger Mk II as many others have stated, but do try to get a look at a Browning Buck Mark Challenge. Adjustable sights, lightweight barrel, smaller grip frame, and checkered walnut grips for those with smaller hands. This has obvious advantages, plus, your daughters get to have a gun especially for them, instead of just shooting one of Daddy's guns, if you catch my drift.

There's a pic on this page...

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/buckmark/buckmark.htm

James K

Member In Memoriam
For a beginner, the K-22 (if you can find a decent used one) or the Ruger Single Six would be hard to beat. Easy to use, easy to load, easy to clean. No magazine, and less likely to lure the beginner into rapid fire.

If an auto is the choice, I have to go with the Ruger, in what ever version you prefer.

Jim