Best .22 for the money

socom58

OK, tell me - what would be the best .22LR rifle for the money? Would you go bolt or autoloader? I'm looking for good accuracy, so are there any decently-priced rifles with heavy bull barrels? If not, can I get away with a well-built standard one? I would be shooting 25-100 yards scoped. Thanks :)

TCman

ruger 10/22

I have a Ruger 10/22. It is very accurate and cheap. Ruger rifles are very well built. You can get ANY aftermarket accesory you want for one.

Last edited:

Fal 4 Me

If a bolt gun, go with the CZ 452 special. Only $230, more accurate than any 10/22 I've ever personally scene. If you want an autoloader I would go with the Marlin 7000. The only advantages the 10/22 has are high cap mags and aftermarket goodies.

With the CZ 452 I can shoot right around an inch at 100 yards with the open sights that came with the gun. Some of the nicest sights I've seen on any production rifle.

esldude

Excuse ME! But box stock 10/22's are not very accurate.

Any bolt gun Marlin or Savage are pretty good. CZ 452 are very good. Anschutz etc. are excellent.

Now admittedly for most purposes other than target shooting 10/22's are good enough.

dfaugh

Marlin 60

Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Marlin 60

Oh, did i mention the Marlin 60?

Barr

For just a good relatively inexpensive and accurate rifle the CZ 452 Special (Trainer) cannot be beat. Very very nice open sights. Only rifle of mine that does not have a scope on it.

Thud

Norinco JW25 if You can get one, if not a CZ 452. Go bolt if You're looking for accuracy. Greetings, THUD.-

Cmu_Sniper

IF your looking for accuracy dont go with the Ruger 10/22. If you want a Cheap well built gun, Marlin 925. A little more expensive and very well built, but worth the money, CZ 452. I have both and they shoot very well.

Te Anau

Certainly not a 10/22 :barf: The best sub $150.00 .22lr is anything made by Savage.Those Russian Tulas are certainly well made and very nice guns.Cant think whos selling them right now however.???

Te Anau

Here they are.
"THESE LITTLE BEAUTIES ARE VERY IMPRESSIVE. MADE AT THE FAMOUS TULA ARSENAL IN RUSSIA. THEY ARE WITHOUT A DOUBT THE FINEST BOLT ACTION .22 FOR THE MONEY I HAVE SEEN ANYWHERE. THEY HAVE AN ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER, WITH THE SAFETY LEVER BUILT INTO THE TRIGGER GUARD. THE REAR SIGHT IS A ROLL OVER BARREL TYPE WITH SETTINGS FOR 25,50,75 AND 100 YARDS. BEAUTIFULLY CHECKERED WOOD STOCK WITH DEEP BLUED STEEL . THE BARRELS ARE SEMI-HEAVY WITH MATCH GRADE RIFLING. THE RECEIVER IS GROOVED FOR DOVETAIL RINGS. COMES COMPLETE WITH 2-5 AND 2-10 RD MAGS AND SITE TOOLS.
IN THIS CASE, THE GRAPHIC ABOVE DOES NOT DO THIS RIFLE JUSTICE. COMMERCIALLY BRAND NEW. ............$149.95"
www.classicarms.us

Death from Afar

Anchutze. They are simply the best but very expensive, but worth every penny.

I think that Rugers are good guns. They are reliable, handy, and once you have put a decent trigger in them shoot very well. My one shoots about 2 MOA, which is a lot better than many more highly priced rifles, and a great deal better than any SKS known to man. :p

Ifishsum

For autoloaders, I like the Remington 597 - even the $119 version shoots better than any stock 10/22 I've used. I also have a heavy barrel laminated stock version that I paid under $250 for.

I settled on my first 597 after picking up and pointing several different .22s and liked the way it feels, and I didn't want a protruding magazine or a tube. I've been the 10/22 route and I'm convinced you gotta spend money on them to make them as accurate as they should be.

Bolt guns, I'm partial to Savage - my son has one and it's quite accurate, I think it was about $160.