Best 1911's - regardless of price

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJimP

I'm new to this forum - and I've been away from handguns for a long time. I'm looking for a new 1911 - and I've looked at a few of the custom or performance models of Les Baer, Kimber, Smith & Wesson ( mod 945's ?) abd Dan Wesson. How would you rank these various mfg's in terms of quality ? What should I be careful of with them ?

If you had to pick one or two of the best models to look at out there - what would they be ?

Do they all offer conversion kits - for converting them to a .22 ? Thanks.

BigJimP

guess I'm naive - but of the guns I can actually get ..

I didn't really mean for anything I would have to wait more than a couple of months to get . Thanks.

Handy

None of the guns in your list would be considered "best". If you want something at least close to the best, contact one of the big name guys and ask what they have available to buy today. Look to spend $3000 or more.

If that plan is no good, then drop the "best" from your inquiry.

HappyGunner

My pick

Unless your into the "CUSTOM" name 1911s thing. I like the Kimber Custom TLE II it shoots great and you would have to spend another $1000+ for the custom named 1911 and very few could really shoot the custom 1911 any better then the Kimber. I am sure other will differ but thats my take on this subject. ;)

mikikanazawa

I read in American Handgunner today about a pistolsmithing course put together by a guy named Dave Sample, a regular to this forum. I haven't Googled the info yet, but apparently a lot of people have built real nice home-brew 1911s with his help.

Orca301

Comments on the Kimber Warrior?

I can't say "regardless of price" but the Kimber Warrior fits in my price range (barely) Any feedback on this very new gun?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom!

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
From Personal Experience Only...

Off-The-Rack Semi-Custom Houses: Ed Brown, Valtro, Les Baer, and Wilson (in descending order) are likely to give you a pistol you'll be happy with.

Mainline Companies: SIGarms GSR (if the S/N is >2000 or so) and the various guns from Springfield's Custom Shop (Professional, TGO, et cetera) are also probably outstanding.

Base Guns: Colt's 1991A1 still holds a slight edge over the Springfield MilSpec, even though 2005 pricing seems to have slightly widened the Springer's price advantage. Odds that you'll be disappointed with either are slim.

The Ideal Solution: Get yourself a good slide/frame/barrel, find a competent 1911 'smith, and build to suit. It helps to do a lot of research before embarking on this path, though. An example: Myself and a couple of co-workers were chatting at work about our dream carry guns. One said "SIG P-229"; another said "Kimber CDP Compact"; yet another opined that the Novak Commander we'd just transferred was pretty nice. They asked me what mine was, and I replied: "Caspian forged frame & slide. Maybe a damascus slide & Ti frame, if I intended to carry openly. Cylinder & Slide hammer & sear, STI trigger, Greider slide stop, Trijicon sights, Ed Brown tactical ambis & memory groove beavertail, Smith & Alexander 20lpi flat checkered MSH w/lanyard loop, Kart barrel..." It all depends on how you look at a gun, I guess. :) In the Knoxville area, I'd have it assembled by Bob Delmore or Phil Jubb at Coal Creek Armory, Shannon Jennings at Randy's Guns & Knives, or Bob Howard at Predator Customs; all have proven themselves quite up to the task over the years. This route is only feasible if both you and your 'smith know what you're looking for...

OBIWAN

Unless I am mistaken, there are basically two conversion units.

The Ceiner, which several mfg's sell as THEIR unit

And the Marvel...which gets rave reviews and comes with an accuracy guarantee

As to "best"...if you are new to 1911's chance are you don't know what you "need".

I would buy a good one and shoot the heck out of it while you learn.

Or take Tamara's list to a good smith :D

Dave Sample

Caspian Arms lower ends are investment cast by Ruger here in Prescott. They used to offer a barstock lower end which was a nightmare to fit and they dropped it. Caspian sends them the waxes and they do the casting. I like them much better than any forged stuff I know of , other than my $225.00 Norinco , which is probably forged. We have a Damascus Long Slide work in progress that has a barstock lower end. It took one day to get the damascus mainspring housing in and another day to fit the damascus trigger. I had to re drill the hole for the MSH pin as the frame was off and we could not get the pin through it.
Tamara reads all the ads in the gunrags for sure. Her selection of parts is truly amazing!
As to the best 1911 for the money? I have it here and it's not for sale.

BigJimP

thanks - leaning toward one of the Les Baer

or one of the gold / match grade kimbers in stainless.

I appreciate the input.

Rinspeed

I like the Baer pistols and bought a TRS a couple of months ago. Some will say the Baer guns are built too tight. I like the fact that it is built tight. As long as it is 100% reliable, which mine has been so far, tight is fine by me. Before I decided on the TRS I was going to go with a RRA but I didn't want to wait.

Rinspeed

Handy

If we are talking custom builds, I'd be sorely tempted to achieve the "best" 1911 by way of Caspian's titanium frame. What an awesome material.

Might as well pair it with one of those Damascus slides and Tam's part list.

But if I was going to spend that kind of money I would just build a gun from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.