best 1911 out of the box..

Don Lu

I've been building my gun collection (just started buying this year). My next purchase will be a 1911. I always hear about people haveing to tweek and modify them before they are reliable. Im wondering, what is the best out of the box but, I dont wanna spend more that 800.

Thanks ahead of time.

varoadking

NHC.jpg

Jart

I came this close ----> <------ to missing the part about the 800.00 as well.

Probably Colt.

Mike PT1911

Ok, I'll stick my neck out on this one. For straight out of box without tweeking. I am gonna say Taurus PT1911 for well under $600. Ok, so now that you all have wiped off the spewed beer, soda or whatever your beverage of choice may be :barf:. Let me just say that for me, it has been a real joy to shoot and easy to take care of. It has also been one of my most accurate guns, along with my GP100. I personally love the Heinie straight-8 2 dot sights and ambi-safety. Forget about the ad that states "Typical cost charged by gunsmiths for custom features standard on a Taurus" which seems to annoy and offend some folk. It's a nice shooting gun. It even handles my Cor-bon and Federal hollow points without a hitch.

Here's another opinion. A member at the range where I shoot began speaking to me on several occasions. One time I showed up with the PT1911, he just happened to have to of his Colt 1911's. One from the '70's and the other was a bit newer. They are beautiful guns. He asked what I had, I told him and he asked if he could give it a try. I said, "sure, knock yourself out". I totally forgot that I had the hollow points in the mag. After he shot it through, he was quite impressed, especially after I told him about the HPs. He actually said that he might have to get one of these for his collection.

So anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

kahrcarry

The S&W 1911's are pretty nice. I now have 2 of them, and haven't had to do any tweeking at all. I especially like the SW1911PD. I picked up the commander-length version for $749 a few months back. With the scandium frame, it's light but not so light as to make +P loads uncomfortable.

I've had nothing but problems with my Springfield "Loaded" 1911's. I like them now that I've had them worked over, but it was a process to get to this point.

Never shot the new Taurus 1911, but I've heard nothing but positive raves about it from a buddy who has one. +/- $600 for a fairly tricked-out 1911 ain't too shabby.

BILLDAVE

Colts

As an avid Colt 1911/1911a1 collector I would agree with the Colt suggestion. However, I belive it must be made prior to the late 80's. The Colt 1991, and other made in the 90's, did not have the tightness or the peformance as early model Colts. I will add that I have not bought a new Colt in the last ten years. Mabey some other could shed some light on the subject. Bu if you find an old Colt, BUY IT! Yes, with little shoping I think you could meet your budget.
I would like to test drive one of those S&W 1911.
BILLDAVE

enikkor

1911 & others.

You can read my post above "newbie on 1911 and others. It will give
you an insight of my journey from 1911 to other pistol types

I love these pistols. I think they are the best Target pistols-period!!
However, as I wrote, they are harder to "field strip" compared to the others. I own a few different types. Maybe, it is just me. Compared to many
modern design, I find them difficult to clean and can sometimes be
finicky. As you said, they require adjustments, fine tuning and I feel
that they are great recreational and range guns. For self defense, there
are other convinient options. Others may not share these opinion.

Oh, If I were you, I'll get a basic Kimber Stainless Steel or Smith & Wesson.

texgunner

I own Colt and Springfield Armory 1911s; I'm happy with them. The SA GI or Mil-Spec would be a good place to start.

Tex

FM12

Colts are hard to beat. I have an Officer's in stainless, and it's 100% reliable. The stainless finish is nice on any handgun, keep that in mind.

You're going to like the 1911s!!:D

Lurper

I have had my PT1911 since November. It has about 15,000 rounds through it and the only malfunction was cause by a bulged case from an improperly seated bullet. For the money, it is the best 1911 bar none. It shoots as well as any 1911 I have shot and that is quite a few.

IanS

Springfield Loaded.

Shoot it for a few years and once I've saved up enough I'd send it off to SA Custom or one of the excellent gunsmith at LTW.

Jart

While I believe the Colt to be a solid choice in a "plain vanilla" package, if I were to experiment with an 800.00 1911 with a generous supply of "bells and whistles", I'd be looking at the S&W and the Spartan.

I believe the Spartan comes with S6/7 tool steel hammer / sears - same as the 2K 2011s. On the flip side, I've heard (as in "don't know for a fact") that the magazines suck. Also, don't expect a lot of sympathy if the ejector pin sticks out places it shouldn't. The last shouldn't affect function but would wrap me around the axle if I had just the teensiest bit more OCD.

It also lacks the Kimber type II parts, but that's a good thing, IMHO.

If you're already hoarding Wilson's, see what you can dredge up on the Spartan. Also, I believe it still dives well under the 800.00 which comes in handy, ammo costs being what they are.

Eric M.

I've had my Kimber Custom Target II for about two weeks now, and have shot it exclusively to break it in. It drives tacks, with NO malfunctions.
This afternoon, I picked up my PT 1911 for the first time in two weeks and it felt like an old friend in my hands.
I like the sights on the Kimber much better, and the trigger pull is nicer, but that PT 1911 sure is nice.
For your first 1911, I would go with the PT 1911 for $549.00 over the Kimber for $850.00.
Trust me, you will fall in love with the 1911, and buy a Kimber down the road, but get the PT 1911 first.

Eric