Best 10/22 after market trigger?

jersurf101

I have a recent interest in resurrecting my .22's from the dead. My children are at the learning age at 6 and 11.

I have a stock Ruger 10/22(blued, wood stock) that I purchased new at wally world in 1998. The trigger on this rifle is extremely heavy. Like prohibitive to shoot well heavy. I am looking into aftermarket triggers for the 150 dollar price point. It seems the drop in Volquartsen is well outside that. Anybody have any real world experience with aftermarket 10/22 triggers? This would be for plinking and small game hunting.

9x19

Drop-in hammer/sear kits from Volquartsen or Power Custom make for a nice trigger... or you can have the factory trigger group re-worked.

One of the earliest, and still my favorite, 10/22 'smiths is Randy at Connecticut Precision Machining. He pioneered many of the most popular modifications being done to 10/22s.

http://www.ct-precision.com/

zukiphile

I'll second the KIDD recommendation. I had one for a couple of years and sold it purely because I didn't want several hundred dollars tied up in a 10/22 trigger.

I have polished a couple of stock triggers to the point that they were so light the returning bolt would trip them; it a fun experiment, but lots of caution and testing are necessary.

The drop-in Volquartzen is the easiest and best for the money, imo. It is about as light as that sort of trigger is going to get, while having a long, smooth engagement surface that isn't going to be the cause of an accident.

mxsailor803

Third for a KIDD. May be pricey but man are they nice!! Check out rimfirecentral.com's 10/22 section and some of those guys can give you more options.

Pahoo

Just for "Starters"

That said, a simple and inexpensive mod is to drop in a Volquartsen hammer, which will lighten the stock trigger group and improve the feel greatly.
There are many levels of trigger or housing work that can be performed. All directly proportional to how much you want to pay. Also, varies in it's pay-back to you. This is always a good place to start. ..... ;)

I routinely do trigger/housing work on these and it's not all that difficult to do. I would recommend the Volquartsen, over the Power Customs. My primary reason is that I have never had problems with Volquartsen products. This will take your trigger from 6-lbs +, to about 2.5 or even less. I once had one go at 1.8-lbs. I offered to redo it but the fella liked it just like that. ... :)

http://theprojectjunkie.com/guns-firearms-accessories/ruger-1022-trigger-job.html

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

jersurf101

You guys have given me something to think about. I had only really thought about a drop in trigger not having someone work on the existing trigger. Both ways seem to have their merits. hmmm....