Besides Charter Arms, who's still making 44 special snubbies?

Gremlin

I think I'd like for my next revolver to be a 2.5 or 3" barreled .44 special.

I've got the requisite .357 magnum (Ruger GP100), 38 specials (S&W Model 10, 642), .22 and .22WMR (Taurus 94 and 941).

I really don't want all the weight or muzzle blast of a .44mag, I think I'd just like the .44 special.

But I don't care for the fit and finish of the Charter Arms Bulldog.

I want a super nice .44 special.

I thought I'd get me a Smith & Wesson, but they don't seem to have a 3" barrel in their current catalog--for that matter, I couldn't find a .44 special period. I'm not anxious to carry all the extra weight that a .44mag represents.

I've got a Ruger Vacquero 7" in .44 mag and that's just not a fun gun to shoot. I'd rather have this gun be a double action, stainless steel, 2.5"-3" barreled .44 special.

Any ideas other than the Bulldog???

joneb

I feel your pain I'm in the same boat, I sold my Tarus 441, 2 1/2 barrel to a friend with the hope of replacing it with a S&W 696 but they are hard to find now :(

Webleymkv

I'm not sure if they're still in production, but Smith & Wesson made the 696, a 3" stainless steel 5-shot .44Spl L-Frame. Taurus made the Model 445, a five-shot 2" .44Spl. Of course, there's always the S&W 629 "Trailboss", a 3" .44 Magnum and the Taurus Model 450, a 2" five-shot .45 Colt.

ChuckD

This is not quite a snubbie-but worth looking at....S&W model 21 44sp. It has the 4" tapered barrel like the mountain guns--and appears would be as light or lighter than the discontinued 696 snub. This is new, and like the Thunder Ranch Special without the gaudy gold logo...ChuckD (of course you could keep your eye open for a used gun...)

omegapd

696 fits the bill perfectly. Check the auction sites but be prepared to pay out some bucks.

I have one- a no dash with the hammer mounted firing pin. A little on the heavy side for a CCW but it shoots well.

In all honesty, I carry my 1970's Charter Arms .44 a lot more. It's lighter, just as reliable as the 696 and it wouldn't hurt me as much if it had to be taken into evidence.