Bertram brass, 43 Spanish question.

chiefr

I picked up some new Bertram brass in 43 Spanish. My existing shell holder (Lee #17) will not work with this brass because the rim is too thick. Anybody know what shell holder will work with Bertram brass in this caliber? :confused:

What is the rim thickness and diameter? Maximum dims should be about 0.089" from the bottom and 0.661" across, so yours should be just a little smaller.

Just looked. The #17 is for the 8 mm Lebel for the M.93 rifle. It is 0.079" thick and 0.630" across, so, yes, too small.

I don't spot anything compatible. Lee makes a #24 Universal Shell holder. I have no idea what its dimensions and limitations are. You could call to ask.

Last edited:

chiefr

Thanks Nick, I reached the same conclusion as far as no existing shell holder. Problem is rim thickness is .088. Upon miking the Bertram brass (BB), I found the inside diameter of the shellholder was OK and there was no problem with fit.

You are correct on the diameter of the brass (.630) however, interestingly, the base has a 45 degree bevel reducing the base to .588.
I like this brass as it is extra thick. Brass formed from 348 has short case life.

I did manage to find a post on another forum where someone "dremmeled" a shell holder to make it fit. Since the case is beveled, Dremmeling looks easy.

I do have two 8mm Lebel shelholders and this will be my next alternative. I will let you know how that works.

chiefr

Well, I worked on the Lee #17 shell holder with my Dremmell and a small round rotary carbide wheel. I placed the shell holder in a vice and in 15 minutes of grinding & fitting, I made a shell holder that fits perfectly and snug.

I had no problems sizing and using the priming arm on my press to prep these cases for black powder.:)
A Lee #17 shell holder costs $4.95. I can only assume a custom made would cost 10 times that.