Bersa Thunder or CZ 83?

topspin43

Looking for a 380 to carry in the car and use at the range (for a little variety). Bersa is about $120 less (2 kids in college on the Dad Cash Plan).

What are your thoughts shooters? You haven't steered me wrong yet!

jvlip3

Bersa 380

I can't comment on the CZ but I do have the Bersa.I have a two tone finish with 300 rounds through it and no jams. Built in trigger lock, mag disconnect, decock safety, alloy frame, and adjustable rear sight. Very accurate and reliable pistol for $240.00. Check out BERSA CHAPTERHOUSE on the net.

Eric Larsen

Well for something roughly the same size.....Id take the CZ hands down.
You WONT find a better gun for the money/caliber/anything...............
Ive had 14+ 380's over the years and shot more than that, the CZ is the king!
Shoot well.

Springer45

I love the looks and feel of the 83. Only thing that bugs me is the way the hammer starts back just a smidgeon before releasing in SA mode. I have a Bersa and it doesn't do anything for me appearance-wise, but it has a decent trigger and is ultra-reliable. Can't really go wrong either way, if you're set on a .380.

Garand Illusion

You WONT find a better gun for the money/caliber/anything...............

Quite possibly a true statement about the CZ. But you can find a gun that is just as good.

As a "shooter" and SD weapon, there are no real weaknesses to the Bersa and so nothing is really better. There are other weapons that are as good and undoubtedly some with a nicer finish, but I don't know if the CZ fits that or not.

If you like both guns, and it just comes down to $$, then take the cheaper one. Doesn't sound like there's a bad choice there.

Bersa

I have the Bersa 380 and is a great gun. Accurate, good trigger, and no jams. Just don't be surprised if the slide won't lock back. My doesn't and many others don't as well.

Last edited:

jvlip3

Have the spring on the slide stop checked. Is your gun doing this with factory or aftermarket mags?

Have the spring on the slide stop checked. Is your gun doing this with factory or aftermarket mags?

I only have one mag for this gun, and is the factory one. When the mag goes in, it doesn't push the slide catch up very far. I am hoping that it is the mag.

dairycreek

Dear topspin43!

I have owned and shot both of the pistols you mention in your post. IMHO the CZ83 is far and away the better quality pistol. The extra cost brings a LOT of extra quality. Good luck :)

Garand Illusion

IMHO the CZ83 is far and away the better quality pistol. The extra cost brings a LOT of extra quality.

No doubt. Of course, the Bersa feeds any kind of ammunition perfectly, last about forever, shoots great, never jams, and ...

Now what were those qualities of the CZ83 that makes it far and away the better quality pistol?

Sorry, dude ... there is NOTHING in it's class "far and away" better than the Bersa. If you have some specific points please post them, but how can you get better than "A+" in every category?

gfen

Does it have to be .380, or are you just looking for something smaller and sleeker?

My answer, if the latter, consider Makarov. If the former is more important, consider Makarov...in .380!

:D

jvlip3

I see what you're saying about the mag. I have 3 mags and each one pushes the lever to a slightly different height. Lucky for me they still operate the slide stop on my Bersa. There might be a solution on the Bersa Talk website.

Gazpacho

Buy the Bersa for CCW. The CZ83 deserves better treatment then that.

Seriously, the Bersa is a better CCW, IMHO. It is much lighter, smaller, and just as reliable. Also, if you are going to carry a double stack pistol for CCW, there are SO MANY better choices than a 380acp.

Buy the CZ83 for the simple pleasure of shooting it. It is superb.

I have a 32acp version. I get girlie-giggles every time I load the 15rd magazine. :p

106RR

There are no bad choices between these two pistols. The Bersa would get the nod for CCW and the CZ for quality, accuracy and resale value. The CZ will cost more to buy but will be worth more if you want to trade in or sell. Most people won't trade the CZ 83 for anything once they own it. I got mine on sale at Reed's Sporting Goods in San Jose, CA for $299. They have a sale every July and there is a CZ 83 in stock marked at $349. I'll bet it's going to be on sale in July! Relax - it's only June right now but you can go out and look at it.

Eric Larsen

Grand.......what makes the CZ far and away a better pistol?

Well having owned every nice 380 made........within reason. The Browning BDA is just as nice, has a finish that you just wont find anymore on ANY gun, capacity, sights and everything are almost as nice as the CZ.

What sets the CZ apart from other 'Higher end" 380's is the trigger, ergonomics and natural pointability of the gun....

The Bersa is a nice gun but just isnt in the same class as the others.....
So far and away better than the Bersa...................HELL YES!

Shoot well.

jvlip3

I looking for mags right now. The two extras I bought last year for $10.00 each both factory from CDNN Investments- they were having a sale. Now all they have are factory at the usual price- $30+. I will send you a private message or e-mail when I locate some. By the way finding things or people is my job so this shouldn't take long. I ordered wrap around grips for my Bersa at YOURGUNPARTS.COM but no low priced mags are there either.