Bersa Thunder 380 CC - question for owners of this model

bedbugbilly

First off, I have always been a wheel gun person. I've had semi-autos and a year ago, bought a Ruger SR9 that I realy like. However, I wanted something smaller to CC and thought I had found the ideal gun to fit my needs. I settled on the Bersa Thunder 380 CC as I felt like I wanted a pistol with a DA/SA trigger that I could carry un-cocked and yet could pull if necessary, fire in DA and then go to semi auto. That was my thinking anyway.

I found a "used" Bersa 380 CC that had some minor holster wear but looked like new as far as having been fired. I was impressed with it, the price and I have to say that it is a nice little handgun and fun to shoot on the range. I've only had it to the range twice and that is when I became a little concerned with it as far as "fitting" what my personal requirements/wants/wishes were.

It de-cocks well and functions 100%. I found it to be accurate and I don't have a problem with it in regards to the trigger pull in DA. BUT, after the first shot is pulled off in DA and it goes to semi-afounuto, the trigger of course moves back towards the grip. My concern is the trigger pull in that mode.

Twice (while pointed downrange and aiming, getting ready to pull off the second shot) I found myself firing the second shot before I intended to.

My question is this. I intend to carry it for SD. My concern is that if I had to use it, under stress and with adrenalin flowing, the DA first shot would be no problem - what I am concerned about is if I were in that position of having to pull it, the possibility of squeezing an additional round off beyond what I did by pulling the trigger on purpose - with the result in certain scenarios of having an unintended round go off and possibly hitting someone or something unintentional. I'm curios to know if those of you that own this particular handgun notice the drastic change in the trigger pull from DA to SA? Or, since my weapon was purchased used, is there the possibility that the previous owner "tuned" the trigger to lessen the trigger pull?

I have shot 50+years and I know some of you with greater experoemce than mine in shooting semi-autos will say "learn your weapon" and you will be more comfortable with it. I shoot as often as I can to stay trained and perhaps I am worrying about this issue too much, but I'm wondering if I might not be happier with a pistol that is DA only for carry for SD. My problem is that I have always primarily been a SA revolver shooter but I am working more in shooting DA with my Colt and S & W revolver.

So your thoughts and comments please on your experience with the difference in the DA and SA trigger pull on this model.

Again, I'm not knocking the Bersa - it's a great little pistol but I'm wondering if I made an error in selecting it for my SD CC? I'm going to keep it if for nothing else than range plinking but I find the SA trigger pull to be light - certainly much lighter than my Ruger SR9 and others I've shot such as the 1911A1, Springfield 9mm, etc. Perhaps I just made the wrong choice for my person SD CC and should have gone with something like the Ruger LCP or S & W 380 Bodyguard. At this point, with the light trigger pull my Bersa has in SA, I'm even considering going to a snubbie wheel gun. I'm just wondering if the Bersas are all like this or has mine had the trigger tampered with? Thanks!

Attachments

• Bersa 380 CC Photo.JPG
    Bersa 380 CC Photo.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 39

crispy

Here's how I fixed that.

I got an M&P to shoot in competition. Put in the Apex competition trigger which brings it down to 3 lbs. Shot that a bunch and had a couple of those unintended double-taps.

Now it makes that light SA pull on my Bersa feel like a ton of bricks. :D

I kid but... after shooting the M&P a bunch and learning to control it, I don't ever have that problem on the 380 CC. Its just training.

franco45

I own a Bersa Thunder 380 and a Firestorm 22lr. Great range guns. I carried a Thunder 380 cc for a while but traded it for the reason you mentioned. I prefer to carry a dao semi automatic (LCP, Kahr CM or CW9) or a revolver like my Colt Agent keeping it simple for CCW.

bedbugbilly

Thank you for your comments/input fellas . . . it is greatly appreciated.

This Bersa is the first/only DA/SA semi auto that I have had experience with and like I said, I thought it was what I was looking for for CCW. I don't have a whole lot tied up in it and plan on keeping it for range play but I've made up my mind that I will eitheer be looking at a DAO 380 or a good snubbie wheel gun. I want something that I know will be the same each time I pull the trigger and that I am comfortable with. Thanks again for you input as it has been very helpful. ;)

As a side note - would I recommend Bersa - yes. I think it is a great little pistol and I have no issues with it as far as shooting on the range - I have had no malfunctions, no misfires, etc. It's well made and for the price of 'em, I think they are great. My only problem with it is in the trigger pull change from DA to SA - for me and my own peace of mind, I want to be secure in knowing that the triggeer pull will be the same each time on whatever I carry for CCW. As they say, "You live and learn". I tried this model as I thought it was what I wanted for CCW and found out it wasn't - for others, it might be just what they are looking for. For myself and what I want, I'm going to look at something that will have a constant trigger pull and that I won't always be worried that I might squeeze off an unintended shot in the case that I should ever have to pull what I carry for SD.