Bersa Model 23 22lr?

kahrma

Does anybody know anything about this gun other than that it is a Bersa Thrunder chambered in .22? I am thinking about getting one but I have not heard much about them. Are they reliable? Are they accurate? What is a good price?

liketoshoot

I have one. The cool factor is high - it's exactly like the .380 version. It's also pretty well made (with the old style Walnut grips and forged steel frame and slide, deeply blued). However, it's been more of a challenge for me to shoot accurately than my Buckmark. Probably just me, though.

Factory mags are hard to find and are expensive. However, mine fed reliably.

It's a fun little gun.

nvrquit

Bersa Model 23...

kahrma,

The Bersa Model 23 was the predecessor of the Bersa Thunder 22, just as the Bersa Model 83 was the predecessor of the Thunder380.

In comparison, the earlier model Bersa's in each respective caliber didn't have a frame mounted external slide release, as do the current Thunder series Bersa pistols.

I owned an earlier model 85(all-steel, wide frame, high cap. .380) that was blued and now currently own a Thunder380 Deluxe and a Thunder22. IMO, the earlier Mod. 85 was better in the finish department(better polishing and bluing), while the Thunder380 Dlx. feeds absolutlely everthing that's been tried in the way of .380 ACP ammo.

My Thunder22 seems to be sprung on the heavy side(recoil spring wise) and doesn't reliably feed standard and subsonic .22RF ammo.

In the past several other members have posted on this topic. Here's some of the links:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=133513&highlight=Bersa+.22

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=128786&highlight=Bersa+.22

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=136159&highlight=Bersa+.22

kahrma

Bersa 23 .22lr range report.

I bought it Tuesday for $165.00 +tax. The guy said it was in excellent condition but when I got to his shop, It looked brand new without a scratch or a mark on it and had all the factory paperwork and box!

I got it home and tried to load a cartridge but it wouldn't go in. There was a burr on the chamber that was grabbing the lead. I removed the burr and shot it today.

It shoots unbelievably good:cool: . I never expected it to be very accurate but it is a tack driver! I was shooting cloverleaf and one hole groups at 10ft. I know 10ft is not that far but it was in my dad's basement and it had to do.

The only flaws that I detected was the aformentioned burr and the sights weren't ajusted to p.o.a. They are ajustable for windage but not elevation. They shot a little to the left and down. They now shoot fine in terms of windage but are still a little low. With only shooting at 10ft I am not too worried yet, I will see how they shoot at greater distances before I try to fix them.

The trigger is a DA/SA as found in many centerfire handguns. The DA is long and smooth but a tad heavy with noticable stacking, not bad at all and very shootable. The SA trigger is the one that will be used 99% of the time and it is very nice:cool: . It is light and smooth but does have considerable takeup and it breaks very clean. Compared to a Ruger MKII trigger the Bersa trigger is a little heavier, has slightly more take-up and breaks as clean if not cleaner than the MKII. One interesting thing about the trigger is that it has a built in stop. I think the good SA trigger contributes alot to the accuracy.

I had a few FTF because I had purposely left some of the burr because I didn't want to take of too much metal. After shooting 50 rounds the FTF stopped and it feed and functioned flawlessly.

All in all, I am very impressed with the accuracy, quality and value of this pistol. If you can find them, they are worth having as a plinker or kit gun or even a trainer because it has a traditional DA/SA trigger (something that is rare in the rimfire pistol world).

Last edited:

Nassho

I have a Bersa Mod 23.
More than 6000 rounds on it. I´m from Argentina. Bersa has lifetime warranty here. It shoots very nice, very well made.
I have no point of comparison, as I´m in Argentina foreigns .22 models are at a prohibited price.
I´ve spent nicer times firing my Bersa than my Glock 17 or my Taurus PT 99., but nothing like firing a 12. Just tastes.