Berry's bullets and 230gn 45 ACP

solitude127

Hello all,
I'm wanting to start loading Berry's bullets in 230gn for 45 ACP. I was wondering what type of "recipes" you're using. I've looked in many manuals but can't find any definitive recipes. I've even looked on Berry's Bullets website and the just say to start at the low range of lead bullets.
TIA

federali

five grains Bullseye

I've used five grains of Bullseye behind both plated, jacketed and lead 230 grain bullets with great results. The load is accurate and I'm quite certain it doesn't constitute a +P load. 5.3 grains of Bullseye yields 756 FPS from my 4.5 inch S&W M&P.

rmorgan9718

45 acp

I think if you use Bullseye, that 5.0 gr is the norm. I use the same load from 185 gr to 230 gr Berry's Plated RN's, with good results and excellant accuracy.

I do push the 230 gr's up to 5.5 gr in my XD45, but only for carry loads.

WCW

I found 5.0 gr 231 to be accurate in my Ruger with either Berry's or Rainier 230 grainers.

5 grains of Bullseye has to be the oldest hardball match load around. I saw that load was given for some mid 1920's Frankford Arsenal 230 grain match ammo. Still works. About 825-840 fps from a 5" test barrel.

That said, Hodgdon Universal will meter better and burn cleaner. About 5.2 grains to match the older load's velocity and pressure pretty closely. 231 will meter even more easily, but is not cleaner, and matches Bullseye's pressure at about 5.1 grains.

If you're just looking for target practice, it is really not necessary to use a full charge of powder. Usually 4.2 grains of Bullseye, 4.3 of 231, and 4.4 of Universal will work just fine unless you have a short barrel gun with stiff springs that really need a full load. The lower velocity makes you work a little harder at follow-through, so it's good for practicing the surprise break with your trigger. Tells you right away when you've messed that up.

BigJimP

Hodgdon Universal works well also ....mid range of jacketed bullets is what Berry's recommends / and nothing over 1200 fps...which isn't a problem on a .45 acp with a 230gr bullet.

Check the Hodgdon site ...for min and max...

iraiam

230 grain bullets I use 5 to 5.5 grais of Bullseye, depending on bullet type and how much bang I want.

I have also been using Power Pistol, mainly because it was very cheap, and accuracy is retained. I kind of like it, flash and bang are side effects. :D

I would also like to add that all of my recipies were worked up from published load data using standard good reloading practices.

Last edited:

arch308

I must be the oddball. I use all the above loads but tend to favor 5.5gns Unique. It fills the case a little better IMO and works well for me.

Jammer Six

Titegroup is not recommended for plated bullets.

Loads do not transfer directly to plated bullets.

I'm surprised at some of you.

I stopped using plated bullets when accuracy became more important than they could deliver.

Powderman

To the OP:

Any load listed for a 230 grain lead bullet should work fine.

Remember to use a taper crimp--not a roll crimp--and load conservatively.

Jammer Six

My mistake. I checked my notes. Titegroup is not recommended for those moly coated bullets by Precision Bullets.

I have several loads of Titegroup and plated.

My problem with them was tumbling. I switched to Hornday jacketed, and the problem went away.

BigJimP

Berry's specifically says.....use low to mid level data for jacketed bullets...
------------------
from Berry's web site...in FAQ's...

FAQ: How do I load Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets?

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

Berry's recommendations on velocity ...
Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1250 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities over 1250fps unless the bullet description denotes a thick plated bullet with a higher listed maximum for velocity.