berry's 9 and 45

MJ45

I would like to know if there is a common powder for loading berry's plated bullets in 9mm 115gr and 45 acp in 200 or 230 gr. thanks

m&p45acp10+1

Bulls's Eye, and TiteGroup are two very common powders used for both calibers. There are plenty of others out there. Those happen to be the two I use, and a vast majority of others use one, or both of those powders due to thier versatility.

praetorian97

Ive loaded up about a 1000 of Berrys MFG 230 GR RNDS 45 acp w/ Unique and Bullseye.

Had zero issues. I believe I use 5.4 and 5.7. I dont have my manual with me so dont take that as a usable recipe.

Last edited:

MJ45

thanks, when i 've looked up the data i have trouble finding info that matches for one powder and the bullet i want to use. are bullet shapes critical, ie round nose vs flat vs hollow point?

WESHOOT2

are "cars" all the same?

are bullet shapes critical, ie round nose vs flat vs hollow point?

Please assume that every different bullet is exactly that: Different.
Because they really are.

Best advice I can give is when starting with a new bullet, find as much data as you can for something similar, and start at the averaged 'Start' load.

Safety first.

Bullets vary in material, construction, bearing surface, malleability, length, weight, and friction coefficient. Even, sometimes, by lot....

engineermike

Yes bullet shape is different and each brand of bullet might have a different shape even though it is round nose, flat, hollow point. They will have the same weight but a different shape. The bullet shape might mean you will have to seat one bullet at a different C.O.L. than the other.
In one case I had to seat a particular hollow point 124 grain bullet well past the C.O.L. that the data called for (Shorter) before it would fit into the barrel of my gun. However, another brand of hollow point 124 grain bullet would fit and was within the published data for C.O.L.

jimbob86

I have loaded/shot Berry's in both 9 and .45 (and .38 special, too!) .... I have had the best luck by keeping the velocity below 1200 in 9mm ..... No worries with .38 or .45- they were not designed for jacketed bullet velocities in the first place.....

powders:

9mm- Unique (does not meter well for me) Power Pistol (current favorite pistol powder!)

.38- 700X (another flake powder my measure does not like), Unique (same relults) ..... have not tried PP yet, gotta use up all the flakes first.

.45- vN-340 (expensive and harder to find, but gave me best velocity for pins) Red Dot, 700X, Power Pistol. I tried a Blue Dot load once that gave inconsitant vleocities and left a lot of unburned powder laying around.....

pgdion

I use Unique with the 9mm Berry's bullets. I've used from 4.5 to 5.1gr and have sort of settled in around 4.9gr loads. All shot well though. One note, it's putsy since Unique is flake powder, I measure each load on the scale. No complaints on performance though.