Berry's 124 grain HBRN 9mm

garryc

I've been loading since 1982. In that time I have loaded a good bit of 9mm. Always I go with 124 grain bullets, and I have tried most of them. The load is always 4.4 grains of 231.

Today I loaded 120 rounds of Berry's 124 grain HBRN. Same powder and charge with Sellor and Bellot SP primers. Easily the most accurate 9mm I have ever fired either reloads or factory. That in my P250 sig sub compact, My Taurus PT92 and my Ruger P95.

FrankenMauser

The Berry's HBRN bullets work great in almost anything.

They really shine in firearms with oversize barrel dimensions.

That's how I got started with them: 100 gr HBRNs in a Taurus .380 that had an oval bore with .358" x .359" groove dimensions, at the muzzle, and there was a loose spot that was well beyond .360" just forward of the chamber. (Not a bulge - that's how Taurus manufactured it!) :rolleyes:

Nick_C_S

W231/124gn is certainly a good load combination (I'm happy at 4.2gn). And Berry's make fine bullets. So no surprise here with your results. Load away.

hartcreek

I use the 115s for some guys and for others the 124s. My Star Model B works just fine on 105 trunicated cones that I cast from a Lee mold. YOu have to use what works for individual guns. My chiropractors Glock....I think a 19 and his brothers run just fine with the 115s and Green Dot 4.2-4.4 or HS6 6.7 grains.

serf 'rett

My target load, with Berry's 124 HBRNTP, is 4.0 grains of W-231; however, I get even better accuracy with 5.2 grains of Power Pistol (along with a tad more "thump").

garryc

I might try another powder but I had bought two 8 pound kegs of 231 some years ago. I went through one and am on the second so maybe in 4 years or so I'll give something else a try. Of course I use it in 9mm, 38 special and 45 acp and all those charges run 4.4 to 5.3 grains so it kind of takes a while when a keg puts out 11,000 + rounds. Until then no need to mess with success.

Funny thing is when I bought it I think it was $55 a keg. Now I see it going for $150.

Nick_C_S

I might try another powder but I had bought two 8 pound kegs of 231 some years ago. Until then no need to mess with success.

Exactly. No need to mess with success. 124gn/W231 is a great combination that'll serve you well.

The only reason to move to a slower, more potent powder, is if you have a need to add another 100 f/s to your ammo for some reason.

Being "stuck" with two 8Lb kegs of Winchester 231. . . the kind of "problem" countless loaders wish they had.