Berger VLD or Sierra GK

jersurf101

I am facing a dilemma that I'll put up to you guys. I am super excited to be going deer hunting this fall for the first time in 5 years. I used to hunt in Maryland and Virginia and this will be a trip to southwestern Wisconsin.

I have a .270 that I have worked up a good load with SGK's. This rifle has killed most of my deer for me and I love it.

I just bought a Savage 11 trophy hunter and have worked up a good load using 168 gr Berger VLD hunting projectiles. I am hesitant on using the VLD's. The shots will be short like under 100 yards. I really like the light weight of the Savage 11 and the way the rifle points.

Does anyone have any in the field experience with the Bergers? Thoughts?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've always figured that inside of a couple of hundred yards, most any old hunting bullet will work just fine on Bambi. About all that matters, IMO, is that your load is giving you decent groups. After that, it's all about shot placement.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
For all that we natter and chatter about ballistics, trajectories and coefficients, I figure that at 100 yards? Wad-cutters would work as well as a BC of .700. :D

Kachok

Gatta agree with Art on this one, SGKs are to me the gold standard by which all deer bullets are judged, I am sure the VDLs would work fine too but why mess with perfection?

jmr40

The Bergers will work just fine. So would almost any bullet on deer at that range. If you want to use the Savage there is no reason not to. If you'd prefer to use the old standby then it will work too, but why buy another rifle if you aren't gonna use it.

Bergers are not a good choice on larger game such as moose or elk if taking less than perfect shot angles. They won't give the penetration to get through several feet of muscle before reaching vitals. But if you put one into the lungs they typicaly result in more quick kills than most any bullet on even the largest game.

PawPaw

On my hunting grounds, 200 yards is a long shot, about the farthest I could see. Even on a pipeline or power-line cut, most shots are between 75-100 yards. I use Sierra Gamekings and have never been disappointed in the results.

tahunua001

I have no personal experience but the general consensus is that berger makes a derned fine bullet that is very hard to compete with. I would take the VLD over the game king myself.

however, anything in 270 at the ranges you specified will leave a dead deer on the ground as long as you don't shoot 'em in the butt.

Kachok

I will give a word of caution though on the VLDs, it seems even at max length I had too much jump on my lands and they would not group worth a darn in my Tikka, it is the ONLY bullet to perform poorly in that gun.

jersurf101

Those 168 VLD's shoot tiny groups in my savage 11 and fit in the magazine at 2.9 inches. I might just try the Bergers and the Savage.

Thanks for the replies fellas.