Berger VLD in 243

castnblast

In the past, I have always loaded to SAMI specs when it comes to OAL, and added about .01-.02 to that length - seems to work well in both my 700's in 270 and 7mm rem mag as well as my Howa 1500 in 22-250 and 243.

I tested some 95gr VLD's and discovered they were all over the place - I also realized, I didn't have the bullets seated to the lands as they state will produce the best accuracy with their bullets - so since I have a full box, I'm hoping that will remedy the issue, because #1 - they aren't cheap, and # 2 I have them so I might as well play because I can.

I took a marker and loaded a dummy round to find my lands - They are really deep on a Howa - Berger recomended 2.710, which is where I ran my originals - I found out today that my OAL needs to be 2.835 to touch the lands. That said, I was a bit concerned about over pressure - having never loaded a bullet right into the lands before. I'm starting over at scratch with data they provided me with, but I was currious if anyone else has shot VLD's and what was their pressure experience with these bullets when seated right up to the lands? Not concerned about accuracy - it will be what it will be - they will fly or they won't - I'm more concerened about what to expect pressure wise, and how close to max charge did anyone get - I'm loading Hybrid V100 - and comparing like charges it is significantly under max of all other data I've seen - Ex - My 100 gr Sierra's max charge is 43.7 - My accuracy charge is 42.50. Max for their 95 gr is 41.0 gr. The ogive to boat-tail is shorter on the VLD than the Sierra, so I'm thinking the pressure in theory should be less, except for the fact that the bullet is not "jumping" to the lands?

Thoughts? Of course, I'm experienced, and I'm working these up from their recomended start weight of 39 gr. BUT - I have some extras loades over their stated max, but under the powder manufacturer's stated max for same bullet. Those over Max bullets will be pulled if I see signs of over-pressure leading up to them. I'm going up in .5gr. increments.

Any thoughts or experience with these in your work ups is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

t45

My 243ack is a 1000yd bench gun. What twist is your barrel? I have used Bergers alot. I load mine to touch the rifling. I use H4831SC, H1000 and Re22 for my loads. I have found that the 105's are a little more accurate than the 95's. My gun has a 1:8 twist and can shoot sub 1/4" groups if I do my part. It took a lot of testing to find out what it likes. Good luck!

castnblast

I need to go to the 87 gr version - maybe. I thought my twist was 1:9, but turns out it's 1:10. I'm hoping that loading to the riflings - now that it is truly to the rifling, will improve accuracy. The bullet is a little long, but not terribly longer than my 100 gr Speer BTSP's. I'm hoping these will work but if not, I have a deadly accurate 100gr load with 42.5gr of Hodgdon's Hybrid V100. When you worked up, did you have any unusual pressure build ups? Also how do your load charges compare with similar weighted BTSP's?

t45

When I started I increased until the primers started to flatten and then stopped at that point. My most accurate loads were at this point. I did not experience any sudden pressue spikes. My pressure increased proportionally with charge weight. I do not use BTSP's. I use FMJ match bullet only. I have tried Seirra Matchking 107's with some success. Keep in mind my twist is a little faster than yours so my experiences will be different from yours.

Cary

I just inherited a Ruger M77 MII in 243 with a 1:9 twist. From what I have gathered the 100 grain bullets should perform well with that twist rate. Do you guys concur with that? I've only been out with it once and shot some 80 grain factory loads threw it.
Cary

mc223

I had done a lot of testing with the 95 VLDs for my 6 WOA. They in some barrels like to jump a little. .010 to .030. I never had any pressure issues jamming, but they didnt group well for me either. I was adjusting powder charge as the bullet was seated longer. The WOA case is smaller than the 243 so my pressure result might be different. It finally came down to matching the bullet to a powder. I am using VV-N540. VLDs must like a little extra energy.

castnblast

They need velocity that is why i am trying with H V100. seems to get the highest velocity without overpressure. my 100gr are tack drivers with that load. Im going to try these at the lands as recommended by Berger. if they don't work I'll go with their 87 gr version.