Berger 223 cal 80gr VLD load data ?

rebs

Is anyone loading this bullet for a bolt gun ? It seems to me that the Berger load data for Varget and Re-15 powder seems quite low.

lugerstew

Hi, i have reloaded for that bullet for my savage 223, 1 in 7 twist, 26 inch barrel bolt gun. It does shoot very well for me, per my load data from 100 yard tests, Varget 20g=2558fps, 1/4 moa. 22.3g=2720fps, 1/4moa.
RE-15 20g=2423fps, 1moa, 22.5g=2719fps, 1/4moa,. These were 3 shot groups and i didnt see any overpressure signs, hope this helps. OH, forgot to mention, the COAL for these loads was 2.326 inches.

Marco Califo

COAL for these loads was 2.326 inches
Those are long bullets. In addition to longer throat and faster twist requirements, that is about the upper range for 223.
I have one Savage that would shoot those, and one that wouldn't. Magazine is another possible limiting factor.

lugerstew

I would imagine, that one reason for Berger load data to be so low, is that they are giving data for seating the bullet to Saami Coal length of 2.260, and yes it is a long bullet,I checked the Sierra load data for their 80 grain bullet and they do go higher in powder charges by almost 2 grains, but their recommended COAL is 2.550.

The Sierra is shorter than the Berger, so it still isn't apples-to-apples even with the greater COL, but it's close. Close enough that if you use the same OAL as the Sierra, the starting load from Sierra should be OK to use.