Bergara Rifles

Savagehawg

Looking for a new rifle, this will be my primary hunting rifle as i just gave my old one to my son. I have been looking at the Bergara B-14 series in 7mm Rem Mag and the Tikka3x Hunter. I am not interested in an entry level rifle, i prefer wood over synthetic as this will be handed down to my son eventually. I have some experience with Tikka but none with Bergara but really like the feel of the Bergara. Does anyone here have any experience with Bergara as far as dependability and accuracy and i will be hand loading as i do for all my rifles.

Thanks

jmr40

I've had 2 Bergara's. Sold them both. Currently have 4 Tikka's. I don't dislike the Bergara rifles. If conventional styling is important to you, you could do worse. One of my Bergara's was very accurate, the other borderline acceptable. But I wasn't looking for acceptable. I've got to believe that was an anomaly because by all accounts they tend to be very accurate.

Tikka is more functional and less aesthetically pleasing, which is more important to me. Overall I've never seen a Tikka that wasn't above average accuracy wise, but lots of people don't like detachable mags and the styling.

I don't think either would qualify as an heirloom rifle to pass down to my son, even the wood stocked versions. Both are working guns with very different styling.

I don't see many of either with wood stocks, but they do make some; all of mine have been synthetic. You might want to actually handle a wood stocked Bergara before you decide. If you order one without handling it first you may not like it. They LOOK good, but are a little thicker and chunkier than many like. Their synthetic stocks are trimmer.

stagpanther

I have two Bergara-produced guns that are labeled under CVA (which is owned by Bergara)--the CVA paramount muzzleloader and the scout pistol in 6.5 creedmoor. The muzzle-loader actually shoots better than some of my bolt-action rifles. The scout I haven't really spent any time developing loads for yet. The barrels look great on the inside IMO for a mass-production barrel--they resemble pretty closely custom barrels to my eye.

Full disclosure: the paramount is a hefty rifle at about 10 lbs but it closely resembles a precision bench rest rifle. It's an acquired taste--but I think it's awesome.

Last edited:

robert1804

I have two B-14's, a Ridge in 243 and a 6.5cm HMR. Both have proved very accurate and very smooth feeding. The Ridge has become one of my favorite rifles. I like wood and blued steel but Bergara did a great job with this synthetic stock. It has aluminum pillars and feels great.

Pathfinder45

Heirloom rifle?

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest that you take some time to handle some model 70 Winchesters before making your decision. The Classic Sporter and Featherweight are good examples.
I can't help but wonder if the 7mm Remington Magnum is enough better to be worth sacrificing magazine capacity versus a 30-'06 Springfield, 270 Winchester of even a 280 Remington? The model 70 Winchester is a 5+1 capacity rifle in standard calibers.
Woodstock? Absolutely; make it Walnut.