Beretta's new pocket pistol

bonefamily

I didn't see a thread on this yet so figured I'd get one out - Beretta just put up their new pocket pistol on their website, the Pico. Chambered for .380 and .32 with interchangeable barrels. Another pocket pistol for us pocket pistol lovers :)

Bill DeShivs

I expect to see the 3032 Tomcat "go away" now.
Perhaps Beretta learned something from it. If this pistol is a locked breech gun like most of the Keltec clones, it should be a winner.

SpareMag

The Tomcat prob will go away, and I regret that. My wife has an auto she can shoot with the Tomcat...she has arthritis issues with slides.

Guess I had better stock up on TCs now...

Nakanokalronin

Beretta needs to learn about low bore axis with their poly guns. Many of their guns have a bore axis higher than it needs to be and the Pico is no different.

Luger_carbine

Rafe Bennett, VP of Product Marketing for Beretta calls it an "ultra compact pistol.”

I can't find measurements for it but if you look at a picture of someone with their trigger finger pointing horizontally along the slide of an LCP compared to a picture of someone with their trigger finger pointing horizontally along the slide of Pico, the Beretta looks like a camel.

Maybe they should have called it the Pico Molto Alto

LockedBreech

I love Beretta. If it's reliable my LCP may get a little .380 pocket competition. I also enjoy that it can be a .32 with a barrel swap. Not sure when I'd make that swap but it's nice that I can if I want.

The Inox with the black frame is sharp.

LockedBreech

Having looked at it a bit more, it seems a bit top-heavy. My LCP's bore axis seems quite a bit lower, but I could be wrong.

PSP

Worth a look. It has many good features. Seems to be a good size for a .380, maybe a bit big for a .32.

Kreyzhorse

Interesting concept. I like the ability to change barrels, but, to be honest, if I owed the gun, I wouldn't find much reason to shoot .32 out of it.

From a size stand point, it looks a bit larger than what I would have thought it would be.

The multiple colors of after market frames seems a little gimmicky...

I'd like to see this gun in person but I doubt it would replace my LCP.

Laz

It looks very interesting. I don't know that it would replace my LCP but maybe it might join it, who knows?

SpareMag

Laz,

The Tomcat frame crack issue is really unclarified to me. I have gotten the sense that 1: they ALL crack, it is just a matter of when or 2: they CAN crack, but the issue is overstated.

With NO knowledge, my GUESS would be that the TC will be phased out when the Pico gets ramped up --you have two products chasing the same market, which is not good.

The Tomcat is a _nice_ little pistol. If it were sorted out and a version put in the .380 market I think it could do well...not brilliantly maybe, but the tip-up barrel solves an issue for people who have difficulty racking the slide.

It is larger and heavier than the KelTec or Ruger mouseguns, but for the small of hand, this is another plus.

The TC is my wife's gun, and we have maybe 100 rounds of FMJ thru it now. She is not a heavy shooter. Beretta said in an email that a cracked frame may appear at the end of the gun's lifecycle, but Beretta CS declined to say what that lifecycle was.

Anyway, I think the writing is on the wall for the TC...NOW what will "Burn Notice" use for the opening sequence??????

bonefamily

I like the features of the Pico and will most likely get one. I like the .32 round myself and having two interchangeable barrels is a bonus to me.

LewSchiller

It'll be interesting to see how hard the slide is to rack. I've never fired a SIG P238 , but my wife just had a chance to and found the slide very much to her liking. She has trouble with stiff slides so it was encouraging. We are, though, Beretta enthusiasts so perhaps this will be one to put on the list!

Laz

SpareMag - I agree with you on all counts re the Tomcat. It has always intrigued me and I've almost gotten one several times. However, the ongoing reports of cracking, even in the widebody, heavier frames, and Beretta's injunction not to exceed 130 ft-lbs of energy has always caused me to pause. Love the concept, though.

SpareMag

Laz,

My assumption (spelled "hope") is that while not a combay duty gun, the TC will work well enough in its role of carry piece and occaisional plinker.

NOW, this is not a great endorsement of the TC. I dont have this 130 ft lbs restriction on my Seecamp (well, the Seecamp is a .25, but you get the point...) or P3AT...but neither have the tip barrel which makes it easy for my wife to use.

Her fallback is the Colt snubbie, but she LIKES the TC. So maybe in that role it will be fine.