Beretta Tomcat?

Prof Young

LGS has a Beretta Tomcat 32 acp in the case. It kinda calls my name . . .

Talk to me about your Beretta Tomcat . . .

LIfe is good.
Prof Young

Smaug

There's another thread about them below that's active. Give it a read.

If you do buy it, be aware that you need to get lower pressure ammo, or the slide may crack.

Prof Young

Thanks Smaug

Yeah, I noticed that thread after I posted this. Sounds like they have solved the cracking problem. We are talking NIB gun here.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Metric

Always depends on how bad you want/need it, but honestly it's about the last Beretta .32 I would pick. A used Beretta 1935 or surplus Beretta 81 or 82 are all easily available (in very nice condition for price comparable to a new Tomcat), and infinitely preferable, IMO. They'll shoot hot ammo forever without breaking (they were designed to handle .380, and scaled back for .32, rather than being designed for .25acp and then scaled up to .32 like the Tomcat), fit the hand like a "real" fighting pistol, and and have a classic look that routinely gets mentioned as one of the most attractive pistol designs of all time.

One man's opinion.

BillM

Chunky little gun. No extractor, so it's an issue if you
get a misfire or stuck case. Single action length of
pull is very short. Wife had one for a while, sold it
and got a KelTec P32.

reteach

I have owned a Tomcat for over 20 years. I check it frequently for cracks and haven't found one. I don't shoot it a lot - just a few dozen rounds now and then when I'm at the range with other guns. It shoots straight at 7-10 yards. I've never tried it any any greater distance.

I carry it when I need something small. Yes, there are lighter .32s out there, but I have this one and it fits in pockets that are too small for my Ruger LCRx. And the weight makes it more controlable for me. I load my Tomcat with Fiocchi 73 gr fmj. Have never had a problem with feeding, extraction, etc. The double/single trigger is similar to my SIGs. Not saying it's as good as those, but the action is familiar so I don't have to think very much about how it's going to feel.

If you want something in that size range, I think the Tomcat is a very good old-school option.

lamarw

I have one and had only one problem. It is the Inox version which is supposedly less subject to a crack. The owner's manual cautions you not to remove the grips; therein lies my only problem. I removed them and like to of never got them back on.

Otherwise, it has been a great little pistol.

Alan0354

I know what I said is out of bound. I am definitely a semi auto person. I am on and off looking for a more powerful CCW. After I did a lot of research on the small semi, my conclusion is get the S&W 340 scandium alloy revolver that is less than 10oz. You can even find a model that shoots 357Mag. But of cause a 38+P is plenty strong compare to 32 or even 380.

Reliability goes down with size and weight of the semi auto, you always hear mixed review, some people swear by it and some have problem jamming. Tomcat has cracking problem.

At this size, you only get 6+1, the little revolver is 5shot, it's not day and night difference. It is definitely much more reliable than any semi autos. If the frame can take a 357Mag, you can be pretty sure it will last a long time with 38+P.

Something to consider. I am. Just the price is high.

BTW, I own 3 Beretta 950BS, even though the frame did not crack, but it wear out a lot from firing like 1000 rounds. The recoil spring on one broke after about 1500 rounds. It's very reliable gun, it's only a 25acp. But still, it doesn't last. I use one for practice, the one for self defense only has about 300 rounds to make sure it works and I stop shooting it and save it in new condition.

reteach

lamarw wrote "...not to remove the grips ..."

I forgot about that. There is a little spring that will go shooting off across the room if you're not careful. A buddy of mine also has a Tomcat. Some years ago he took the grips off his and lost that spring. He finally found it but couldn't figure out how to get it back together. I loaned him my gun to use as a model of how it was supposed to look. He lost that spring, too, permanently. Neither of us ever looked at the manual, of course. My buddy took my gun to a smith we knew and he had the spring needed because it was a common thing for that gun. Neither of us has ever removed the grips since. That was over 15 years ago.

Webleymkv

My wife's EDC is an Inox Tomcat and she likes it very much although she hasn't really shot it all that much. Supposedly, Beretta solved most of the frame cracking issues with the Inox model by increasing the width, and therefore the mass, of the slide though the manual still cautions not to shoot ammo with more than 130 ft.lbs of energy (this rules out Buffalo Bore, Underwood +P, and most imported "European-Spec" ammo like S&B and Fiocchi). We limit my wife's to "US-Spec" FMJ or my equivalent handloads for practice and she carries Underwood's standard pressure Xtreme Defenders. My wife likes the Tomcat for the tip-up barrel because, due to a medical condition, she has very limited hand strength with makes racking the slides of many autos or pulling a DA trigger repeatedly problematic for her. She can crunch through the DA trigger of her Tomcat for the first shot and the tip-up barrel makes loading and unloading much easier for her.

Electrod47

Its the most accurate pocket popper I own. Very accurate, head shot accurate. Bought it 2006 when I first got my Texas CCP. Though I qualified with a 1911, needed something smaller. Developed the cracked slide. Sent to Beretta and they sent me a brand new stainless model no charge in 2008. It is a tad heavy for its size and fatter with the stainless model. The tip up barrel, hot silver tip ammo make it easy to handle.Thats my 2cents.

Prof Young

Picked up the Tomcat . . .

Picked up the Tomcat today. It is a touch bulky for a small gun, but I knew that before I bought it. One magazine and the requisite cable lock. Looks like sending in the warranty info extends the warranty from one to three years. Easy to field strip. I think I'll grease the rails before I shoot it. Local GS has a good stock of 32 acp. I've already ordered the reloading dies. Look for a range report soon.

Life is good.
Prof Young

darkgael

i hope that you are happy with your new Tomcat. I have had one for fifteen years. No problems at all. A good shooter….the bullets go right where I aim them.