Beretta Tomcat quality question

wbw

I've read where Beretta Tomcats were having problems with cracked frames. Is it true that the Inox with the SS slide does not have that problem with frames cracking?
This pistol looks interesting to me. The Inox weights 16.5 oz compared to 8 or 9 oz. for Kel-tec P-32 or Ruger LCP. I'm looking for a pocket defense pistol that I won't mind practicing with so that I'm familiar with the gun if I should ever need it.
Is the Inox acceptable quality wise?
Thanks

longtooth50

I had no trouble at all w/ my Tomcat except the rear of the slide comes to a very sharp point. If you let the web of your hand get above the little beaver tail it will bit you. I filed mine round.:)

Kreyzhorse

I believe the early versions of the Tomcat had issues with the slides cracking but I think the newer ones are pretty reliable. A buddy of mine has the stainless version and has put serveral hundred through it without a problem one.

Bill DeShivs

The early Tomcats had a nice thin slide. These guns beat the frame and some cracked. Beretta "fixed" this by making later models "widebodys" with big, thick slides. This may have slowed slide velocity, but it increased the weight of the gun noticeably, and made it thicker.
The Tomcat idea appears to have been hastily implemented on the heels of the Seecamp .32 popularity. It pushes the basic model 950 design to it's limit. The basic gun was designed as a .25 auto/.22 short.

JerkyJR

I have had a INOX model 3032 for a couple of years, apox. 2000 rounds and not a bit of trouble. I carry this as a BUG and as a main carry on backpacking trips. Works Great.

rdebert

I have the Inox model. No problems with mine as long as I use a firm grip. Surprising accuracy if I really concentrate. Been much more useful than I thought it would be. Like it quite well. Weight and size are benefits for me because although a pocket pistol it still feels like a "real" gun in the hand when I shoot it..if that makes any sense.

Technosavant

I have the regular blued one, but I'd probably recommend the Inox slide (either full Inox or just slide) version due to the thicker slide rails.

I found mine to be accurate and reliable. While it is on the heavy side when compared to the plastic pocket guns like the Kel-Tecs, that weight isn't noticeable in the pocket and helps with felt recoil. It's an extremely easy gun to shoot.