Beretta PX4 subcompact 40 inputs?

dean1818

Good morning and Merry Christmas!
God is Good!

My question today

For those that have actually shot the 40cal version of the Beretta PX4 Sub Compact

I realize that it is subjective, but how is the recoil vs other small 40 cal ?
(Glock 27, M&P Shield 40, etc)

I have a 40cal shield and I like the gun, but I am coming to the conclusion that
I don't shoot striker fired weapons as accurately as I do DA/SA pistols

I let my friends, son shoot the shield yesterday and it was jumping too much for him to shoot (he is 12)

Because the Shield is lighter than the PX4 I would expect some improvement

I have come to love Remora holsters, and the Shield does very well, but I wonder if the PX4 might be too heavy

Thoughts?

steelbird

Tried one out a range that rents them - I found it to be much too snappy for me, but then again, I'm not a fan of little lightweight guns with lots of power. YMMV. I'm also not fond of slide mounted safeties. I wasn't interested in it, but a friend I was introducing to guns wanted to try it - he didn't like it either.

1-DAB

have a PX4 in full size 40 cal, and a compact in 9mm. the sub-compacts strike me as too small. the ones i have seem to have similar felt recoils.

my guess is that if you want to go that small, go 9mm. smaller the gun and larger the caliber, the more felt recoil.

I'm not familiar with the .40, but I really enjoyed the 9mm version. My biggest complaint about it (I don't like decocker-safeties) turned out to be moot because replacing a single part turns it into a G-model (decocker only).

Guv

I had one and really liked it, trouble is I liked an old very pretty 2-1/2" Model 66 Smith more.:( I found myself carrying it quite often while out doors hunting and such. Good amount of firepower in a semi small package. Recoil as with other 40's was very dependent on the particular load, the light bullet defense loads having the greatest recoil. The clean single action trigger pull does lend itself to some good shooting.

carguychris

dean1818 said:
Because the Shield is lighter than the PX4 I would expect some improvement
So would I, but keep in mind that the PX4 has a fairly high bore axis compared to a Glock, M&P Shield, or "regular" M&P Compact. It will probably have equal or more muzzle flip despite the higher weight. This may slow down follow-on shots somewhat, and is likely to increase the perception of recoil, particularly to an inexperienced shooter.

OTOH the PX4's broad grip shape will generally have a beneficial effect on felt recoil compared to narrow-gripped pistols like the S&W Shield. Of course, it's called "felt" recoil because it's highly subjective, so this may not apply to you. :)

(Mandatory disclaimer: I've not shot the PX4 in either .40S&W or the subcompact, only the full-size in 9mm, which I found to be a very soft and smooth-shooting pistol, but with a smidgeon more muzzle flip than a G19 or an M&P FS. However, aside from the obvious size and weight difference, the PX4 subcompact uses tilting-barrel lockup rather than rotating-barrel lockup like the compact or FS, so it quite likely feels different under recoil.)

Last edited:

ninjarealist

You know reading this thread made me realize, there are just not a lot of production subcompact pistols in SA/DA and chambered in .40 (at least not that I'm aware of). I guess the most venerable choice that comes to mind is the P2000SK, which does come in an SA/DA setup, both with the safety and with the decocker only.

I honestly have never fired the pistol but I've heard great things about it and I love my USP40c so I really want one. It's about the same size as the px4 subcompact so it seems like it might fit your needs.

Last edited:
This is just my perception, but bore axis always mattered less to me than ergonomics when it comes to felt recoil. The Sig 226 has a high bore axis, but the grip was so comfortable that I felt less muzzle flip than I did with the Glock-17 (whose grips felt too long in my fingers), or the M&P 9 (which felt too slick).

The numbers might indicate otherwise, but just as with accuracy, I think perception has a greater practical impact than mechanics.

carguychris

ninjarealist said:
You know reading this thread made me realize, there are just not a lot of production pistols in SA/DA and chambered in .40 (at least not that I'm aware of).
If you're OK with a metal frame, there's the Beretta 96 and seemingly a bajillion SIG's.

Perhaps the most directly comparable pistol to the PX4 is the FNH FNP 40, which offers a nifty decocker/safety lever that operates as either a decocker OR a "cocked and locked" safety WITHOUT changing parts; however, as I write this, the pistol is NOT offered in a compact or subcompact version. FNH has recently rolled out an FNS Compact, but AFAIK there's no indication that an FNP equivalent is forthcoming.

[EDIT: See follow-on post.]
Independent George said:
The numbers might indicate otherwise, but just as with accuracy, I think perception has a greater practical impact than mechanics.
My previous response notwithstanding, I absolutely agree.

FWIW pistols with a relatively broad and flat backstrap tend to have lower felt recoil to me, and the PX4 has this quality in spades. :)

Last edited:

ninjarealist

@carguychris

Sorry, what I meant to say is that there aren't a lot of subcompact SA/DA pistols chambered in .40.

My bad leaving out that crucial word subcompact.

carguychris

ninjarealist said:
Sorry, what I meant to say is that there aren't a lot of subcompact SA/DA pistols chambered in .40.

My bad leaving out that crucial word subcompact.
No prob, I'm with you now. :)

There's the SIG P224, but like the HK, it's at least a step or two up the price ladder from the PX4 Subcompact.

There are also a handful of 3rd-gen S&W metal frame DA/SA subcompacts in .40S&W, but they're all discontinued.

Astra A-75? :)

Last edited: