Beretta PX4 Storm Rip Off?

Bullrock

I have my new PX4 Storm and I Luv it...:D Recently, on another forum, I learned that the PX4 comes with three magazines and 2 extra backstraps.

I was at the dealers when he opened the box. There were only two magazines and the only backstrap was on the gun. Does anyone know what gives here???

gddyup

Not sure about the mags, but I read a review in one of the gun rags last month about the PX4 and it mentioned the extra backstraps but made it a point to note that they did not come with the pistol from the factory. I remember them mentioning that it would have been nice if Berretta had included the extra backstraps with the pistol instead of having them as an extra cost option.

Marko Kloos

My local store has the PX4s with three 17-round magazines, but I understand that those pistols are technically LE guns, so they may include one more mag in the box for designated cop guns.

Wynterbourne

Most of this is culled from another message I wrote a while back...

Per Brenda B. (last name withheld per request) at Beretta USA as of 11:04 a.m. CDT this morning (09.19.05), after a 27 minute hold...

"The original idea behind the PX4 was for law enforcement. As such, it was packed with 3 magazines. Now that we have reoriented them for civilian sales, the retailer is REQUIRED to remove one of the magazines. Some retailers may choose to give those, seperate from the package, as a gift. Some may choose to sell it outright. If they choose to give it to you with the sale of the weapon, they have to notify you that it is not a part of the standard package, and it must be provided to you in seperate packaging."

She also advised me that the extra backstraps are NOT included with the weapon itself at this time. Apparently these are simply relabeled LE models and they do not come with the backstraps. The backstraps are being packaged and should be available in 2 weeks.

How does the "technically LE" PX4 differ from the regular PX4?

Bullrock, why do you think it was a ripoff? You saw the dealer open the box and saw what came with the gun. Why did you think it was a ripoff versus any other option such as a packing error, a misunderstading on the part of the person that informed you of the differing accompaniments, or a misunderstanding on your part for not knowing what came with the gun? Did you check the manual? My CX4 came with a listing in the manual of what came with the storm as well as a full description of the additional items that I could buy.

i love my storm also. all le models come with 3 mags. when civi production is ramped up they go with two.there is another argument on this forum about weather you are being cheated so i wont go into that here other than to say i think they should go to your hands the way they left the factory.i am waiting for the plus three floor plates so my mags will hold 20 rounds each. if you bought it as it is and didnt notice or care it only had 2 mags then you wernt cheated. if the dealer said it had 3 and u got 2 your cheated.. i love it and will buy several more mags once avalable.

oh ya call desantis holsters they have some awsome storm models. they are the only stocking manufacture who has specifically designed storm leather in stock. all others have a month or so wait.

Bullrock

Double Naught Spy

The title on this thread is Beretta PX4 Storm Rip Off? Perhaps I should have added more question marks...:)

Bullrock

chrisandclauida2

I didn't say I got cheated! I asked a question. Why do I keep getting lectures? Here's the title again...Beretta PX4 Storm Rip Off?

Thank you for the heads up on desantis, but my new baby deserves a Custom Holster from Black Hill Leather...

JohnKSa

Administrator
Bullrock,

I have heard no reports so far of different backstraps coming with the gun.

However, many (if not all) of the guns ARE packaged with 3 magazines. Some dealers have left all three in the package while some of them are removing one of the three and selling it separately.

Beretta has confused the issue by trying to differentiate between guns destined for LE use vs those for commercial purpose. They say that commercially sold guns should only come with 2 mags. The problem is that many of the "LE" guns are going into the commercial supply chain as LE response has been less than enthusiastic. It seems that Beretta has informally let the dealers know that commercial guns come with 2 mags and LE guns with 3. So, when some dealers get an "LE" package, they take one of the mags out to comply with Beretta's wishes (or to make a little extra) and sell it separately while some just leave it in.

This is, in my opinion, a MAJOR goat rope. As a dealer, you should NEVER open up a factory package and remove items from the package before selling it to a customer. That's just begging for misunderstandings and ill will. Beretta was EXTREMELY foolish to try to differentiate between LE and commercial guns (there's no difference, just their own internal decision) and more foolish to try to impose their internal decision on the dealers when it was bound to cause such confusion and ill will.

You have pricing confusion because no one ever knows if they're getting the 3rd mag or not. You have customer confusion and irritation when they look at their package and see where it says 3 mags but they only have two. You have people who got only 2 talking to those who got all three and trying to figure out what's going on. It's just a mess and it shouldn't have happened the way it did.

The bottom line is that as long as you knew what you were getting and what you were paying, you weren't actually ripped off, but I think that the dealer should have explained the situation to you in good faith.

But I still think that things were handled very badly, and some dealers selling guns with only 2 magazines are making it worse by trying to claim that they HAVEN'T been removing magazines from packages but can't seem to explain how they happen to have UNPACKAGED new factory PX-4 magazines for sale... :rolleyes:

StormTrooper

Bullrock,

I dont about this...

The Px4 is one of the two handguns I have in mind. No I wont get both but it is one of the two I am interested in making my purchase on. I have only seen it sold with case including the Px4, two mags and cleaning kit. I saw Impact guns has it available with either two 10rnd or two 17rnd, both in 9mm both for the same price. "?" again dont know why...but I have not seen it offered with the extra backstraps. I think for the price, the pistol, 2 mags, claening kit and case is pretty good for the money.

jimmybruno

Px4

Got 3 mags and was told that the backstraps were NOT included. Ordered the holster from DeSantis(thanks for the tip). Love this gun.

Bullrock

Hey Jimmy! Ain't life grand holding your PX4???:D :D :D

Hi Trooper, The question of what accessories came with the PX4 arose on another forum right after I received my new gun. I think Wynterbourne did a great job explaining what has been taking place.

So any of you who think I don't like my PX4...Don't try taking it!!!:eek: ;) ;)

Samuel2001

Well, if I remember right back when Berettas were ordered for inventory they came with three (3) magazines in a cardboard box if we ordered the LE model. And if we ordered the Civilian models they came in the nice plastic case with two (2) magazines. The only other diferences were the outside label on the box said "POLICE SPECIAL" on the label of the LE model, the other diference was there was a small price diference due to an exice tax not paid by LE officers if the gun is for service use.

I dont know if things have changed, since its been a few years. But, this might be the case.

Good luck!

the info reported as coming from beretta is not true. i think it is accurate as that is what they were told. beretta sent all le models out with 3 mags cause the standard load is one in the weapon and 2 spares on the belt. this was to make the weapon more appealing for the intended end user. once they allowed the distributers to release these for everyone they were supposed to sell as is. as for the price i understand that the non le marked models will actually be more expensive by about 30 to 50 dollars with only 2 mags. so if like me you paid 450 or so with 3 mags you got a screaming deal. i even saw a new non le model in the same store i bought mine from got 35 dollars more as it was higher priced from the distributer. amlost all stores sell for a standard plus 10 percent mark up [give or take] so the end price should be the same round the country.i dont think you got cheated legally except for the 2 mags. i dont know of anyone getting the back straps in theirs but my dealer sold the le models with all 3 mags. some are removing the 3rd mag then offering them for 20 or so dollars.i love my storm and the way it sits in my hand. i love the superluminova sights. a quick flash from a light and you almost need shades to shoot it cause the are so bright. i think the storm will become popular. it is a very well made and ergonomic weapon. much better than glock in this way. i know this isnt the subject matter you were asking for but dam it i love my storm.

DHart

Bullrock...with all due respect, I don't think the headline "Rip Off" is quite appropriate. You may feel ripped off, but obviously there are some variations going on with different target customers, and I don't think Beretta is trying to "Rip Off" anyone. Certainly, however, the three-mag, two-mag variation, depending on "intended customer" is confusing and can only lead to misunderstandings and ill-will~! (Hence your feelings, which are justified.) Mine came with 3 mags and my dealer made no attempt whatsoever to withhold the third mag from me (a NON-LE type person). Some others, obviously, are getting two mags. But I paid, I think, if I remember correctly, about $468 for mine. Others are paying in the range of $430 for theirs with 2 mags, so in that light, I don't see any inequity.

Bottom line is, as you feel, the PX4 is an awesome pistol and I'm glad to have it!!!! :) :) :)

P.S> At this point in time, I don't think ANYone has gotten optional backstrap inserts.

AnnZ

mid 2006 purchase of a Px4

I purchased my Px4 from a local gun range and it came in a plastic case, and had 3-14 round mags and 3 backstraps. I just looked at the box and the label states "PX4 STORM TYPE F 40S&W/14RD (3 mags)". Farther down on the box it states "Px4 Type F, 40 S&W 3-14rd, 3bkst". That is exactly what I got. Not sure why some are being sold differently. Before making your purchase check the box it should state what is in the box.

Lurper

FWIW, the last 2 we sold had 3 mags and two backstraps. We obtained them from our normal distributors (both from Sports South iirc). I didn't see any LE markings on the box.