Beretta PX4 Storm Review

GeneS

Thank you for a very good review. I prefer a traditional double action, hammer fired pistol. I am a fan of the Beretta 92/M9 pistol. Size seems to be the most common complaint about the 92/M9. I don't find it too big, myself. It is what it is, a full size service pistol. All of the metal frame full size double stack pistols have a pretty big grip though. How does the grip size and trigger reach of the PX4 compare to the 92/M9?

TunnelRat

Looked at one of these for a while, would still like to own one. Very nice size from what I could tell. I would have to do a decocker conversion if I got one.

Crankgrinder

I see you're a lefty;). Bought mine in 09 a full size model because it was 130$ cheaper than the 92 and had 2+ rounds on it at the time. Both feel great in the hand to me, highly doubt round count will ever be an issue.

ScotchMan

How does the grip size and trigger reach of the PX4 compare to the 92/M9?

I do not have a 92 handy to compare to, and it has been a while since I've fired one. I imagine with the larger backstraps its similar if not identical.
I see you're a lefty. Bought mine in 09 a full size model because it was 130$ cheaper than the 92 and had 2+ rounds on it at the time. Both feel great in the hand to me, highly doubt round count will ever be an issue.

Not a lefty actually, the compact is fully ambidextrous, oddly the full size and subcompact are not. I have always preferred non-ambidextrous guns, but when doing one hand only manipulations I find the slide stop to be really nice (beats racking the slide on your belt, boot, etc.).

mete

Since it's been on the market for ten years it must be fairly good and popular.
Rotating barrels ? The reaction to them is a curiosity as they've been made for 100 years !!! Locked breech or delayed blowback [like this PX4 ] have been made .The sub-compact is NOT rotating. The delayed blowback does reduce felt recoil. I really haven't heard much of problems with it . Take a look !

Crankgrinder

My mistake on that, sorry I wasn't aware of the differences, but they are great pistols nonetheless. I hear the knock on those "awful" safeties and the "mush" triggers. Beretta been putting the safeties there for a very long time and people knocking the triggers are comparing them to 1911s. There are good guns that get overlooked and px4s seem to be among those.

1-DAB

Nice review.

Have a full size in 40, and a compact in 9 mm. Carry the 40 cal everyday. Took the place of my Colt commander.

More rounds, less weight, simpler operation. About the same energy for the ammo. And feeds hollow point reliably.

6mm

I think they are great, prefer them to my Glocks

berettapx.jpg

ScotchMan

Thanks! I've really never understood why they aren't more popular. During the big gun shortage here in NY last year, this was just about the only gun you could find; everyone had tons of them.

While its not my first choice, I would not feel any qualms about using one for carry or HD.

LockedBreech

My '08 model (fullsize .40) was my first gun ever, and remains my primary, even after acquiring a 92FS (which I also love, don't get me wrong).

The training wheels of a safety were nice to have when I was a newbie. Now I'll probably convert it to a G-type since I never keep the manual safety on.

Mine has an outstanding DA/SA trigger, especially for a polymer. Far more important to me, it has proven to be reliable with a very wide variety of ammo in a wide variety of lubrication/cleanliness conditions.