Beretta PX4 Storm 40 cal review

ShipWreck

I picked up a Beretta PX4 in 40 cal this morning. Got it for $399 + tax. In my area, my local shop had it for $520, and Academy wanted $498 for one.

I have never owned a 40 cal before. I have prev put 1 mag thru a 40 cal PX4 in July 2006 - during the Beretta range day. At the time - I thought the recoil was very light. The only other 40 cal I have I have shot was a Walther P99 in 40 cal.

I fired 200 rounds thru my PX4 - I REALLY like it. It is very accurate. Now, I am used to shooting 200-250 rounds of 9mm when I go. At the 150 mark, my hand was getting a little sore. And, shooters fatigue was setting in, because my grouping was not as good. Maybe I am a wuss - but remember, I've never fired this many rounds of 40 cal before.

Typically, when I start to get "shooter's fatigue" (from shooting too many rounds - I start shooting low. And, that's what I did after a while. And, when I finished up shooting 50 rounds thru my HK USPc 9mm to test out a new mag spring - I could see I had the same pattern - so it as me..

But, I am very happy with the PX4 purchase. I like the gun a lot. I may stick to just firing 100 rounds thru it on a typical range session - at least for a while. But, I enjoyed it.

No problems whatsoever. And, in fact, at the show, I bought 2 extra extended mags. So, I have 4 mags now.

Only neg I can say - which isn't even that big of a deal - the front sight dot gets dirty pretty fast. I had to wipe it down a couple of times - to see it clearly at my dark, indoor range.

px4-2.jpg

perley03

Brand new for $399? I'm in the market looking for one, I've searched all over the net from gunbroker.com to gunsamerica.com and called all the local gun shops in hope of finding one for around $400. The cheapest I found was on gunbroker.com for $449+shipping, and it had 50 rounds fired through it.
They seem to be a nice gun.
I too notice the fatigue from firing 9mm to the .40S&W. Last night at the range I was firing my father's Ruger .40 and at around 100 rounds my groups started to open back up. It seems as the 40 has a snappier recoil than the 9mm, or maybe its just me.
Anyways nice find, did you get it at a shop or at a gun show?

ShipWreck

I got it at a large Houston gunshow.

I had been told that they were $399 at the Dallas gunshow a couple of weeks ago - and most of the same dealers travel to the Houston show.

They were $399 when they first came out a couple of years back - at the Houston shows. But, I wasn't sure if they were the same price until I was told 2 weeks ago.

Yes - even Bud's and the other online shops charge significantly more.

ShipWreck

Never handled one but from the picture it looks like it'd be awfully comfy in the hand!

Yes - it has 3 different backstraps - but I like the one already on the gun, and haven't even bothered changing it. It does feel nice.

I have 1 standard mag for it and 3 extended mags :D

hamster

nice find! i found a guy selling his PX4 in 9mm for $400 and i jumped on it. i can't wait for this stupid 10 day waiting period that California makes us go through.

I was looking at one in .45 ACP this afternoon at a gunshop in Virginia. They wanted about $650 for it, which I figured was quite high.

I'll be looking for one at the next gunshow I'm at as I was REALLY impressed with how it felt in my hands.

I've wanted a double action .45 for a long time (I have one, but it's an S&W 1917 revolver...), and I just could never bring myself to part with nearly $800 for a Sig 220, and I've never cared for the feel of the Rugers.

ShipWreck

Well, the 45s JUST came out. On the Beretta Forum, 1 guy had some issues on his. And honestly - there have been only a handful of people posting about the 45 version so far.

I waited a while to buy this one - because I knew someone who got the 9mm PX4 right after it came out. He had some issues.

So, IF I get one in 45 - I plan to wait a little while for issues that pop up to shake out.

But yes - for a 45, the grip felt nice.

I probably won't be buying until mid summer at a minimum, so I'm hoping that's enough time to shake the problems out of the trees.

You know, I may even commit sacriledge to get it...

I may get rid of my 1911... :eek:

Your remark about the front sight made me laugh. I have this gun and I hate the sights. But I learned to deal with them and shoot it OK until this weekend. In the middle of an IDPA match the glow in the dark dot popped off of the stupid front sight.

I was already having jamming issues with my handloads and then basically lost my front sight. Someone recommended coloring in all of the dots and rely on sight picture alignment instead of dot alignment...still thinking about that suggestion.

Other than that single incident I can't say I have had a problem with mine that wasn't caused by my handloads. It handles premium self defense ammo like a champ, very nice.