Beretta PX4 SC 9mm

taylorce1

What can you tell me about it? I just bought one for my wife for CC firearm. I really wanted to get her a .357 Revolver but she fell in love with this pistol. I figured if I'm going to get her to carry it, I'd better get her the handgun she loved.

She has plenty of experience with handguns and her favorite handgun is her GP 100 .357. That is why I really wanted to get her the SP 101, I figured she would be more comfotable with it. But at least this way she isn't trying to conceal that 4.5" GP 100 like she wanted to do. Since she goes to work at 4 am everyday I just want here to be safe.

Handguns are not my thing so I could use some help here.

ClydeFrog

Beretta PX4 Storm C model 9x19mm...

I'm not sure what SC means unless Beretta USA has a new model PX4 in the series. I bought a NIB model C 9x19mm in 2009 for $500.00.
The C/constant action worked well and had no problems. I used MPro7 CLP & Ballistol on it. I'm not a big fan of the PX4 Super-luminova 3 dot sights and the polymer guide rod but those were minor points.
As for CC/protection 9mm rounds, I'd suggest the Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ or 124gr JHP bonded +P, the Corbon DPX 115gr JHP, the Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P, the Golden Saber bonded 124gr JHP +P, the Hornady TAP 9mm or Critical Defense load.
For spare PX4 pistol magazines, I'd suggest the Federal EFMJ, Corbon PowRball or a factory made milspec 124gr FMJ 9mmNATO. She should always carry at least 1 spare PX4 magazine and use these rounds to insure feeding/cycle and to go through any possible barriers/cover a subject may go behind or near. JHPs or spec purpose loads are best for protection or duty but may not work against things like plywood, metal, glass, etc.

LordTio3

I assume you're speaking of the subcompact model...

It's a good weapon that feels good in hand and is accurate as Beretta has ever put out. That really about says it all.

If the weapon fits her hand and she likes the DA/SA trigger/safety-decocker setup, then she's good to go. Berettas are accurate, reliable weapons with good capacity and nice triggers. You really can't go wrong. How is she planning to carry the PX4 Storm? If it's in a purse or bag, then the added weight over a Kel-Tec PF9 or Kahr PM9 will be completely negligible.

As a side note, for the Storm sub compacts, you can get a magazine with a grip extension that "flips down". These add about another 1/4-1/2" to the grip and really make a great deal of difference on the small amount of real estate you have to work with.

lukem-albums-guns-picture367-beretta-px4-storm-compact-9mm-left.jpg

I like Speer Gold-Dot Hollow Points and Remington Golden Saber Bonded Hollow Points in 124grain +P loading as my prefered 9mm self defense load.
Pic-gold_dot.jpg

Golden_Saber_mud_test_250.jpg

~LT

Last edited:

taylorce1

Yes it is the sub compact like pictures. Plus she has one of the flip down extension magazines and the like pictured as well. One of my buddies from work gave me a $250 Sportsmans Warehous gift card for our wedding, that along with my 5% military discount got us a good deal. We got the PX4 and Uncle Mikes inside the pants holster for $528 out the door after discount and $378 out of pocket cash.

She shoots low and left at about 15 yards at the range with Winchester 124 grain FMJ. I read in the book where we could change the sites, how hard is this? Or should I try different ammunition until I find the one that shoots on target for her? I'm impressed at how well it grouped for her though.

She will not be able to carry in the holster though until the weather changes as you really can't hide the bulge unless she is wearing a coat, so she will probably carry it in her purse for now. Plus we are still waiting for her paperwork to get approved, El Paso County dropped there CCW permit fee to $60 this year about 50%, so we figured it was a good time to do all this.

scorpion_tyr

She shoots low and left at about 15 yards

Have at least two other people shoot the gun before you mess with the sights. Might be trigger placement or recoil anticipation.

The Px4 Storm is a fine weapon. Never shot the SC, but my wife has owned the larger versions in each caliber in comes in. The only problem I have with the gun is the safety, but if it doesn't bother your wife it's no big deal.

taylorce1

I'm a terrible guy to help her shoot it, I really have know idea on how to handle a pistol. I'm pretty much a rifle guy, bolt action and semi auto. Guess I'll have to pay for a few classes at the local range.

spodwo

PX4 Sub Compact is outstanding. It it comfortable, accurate and great to shoot.

The low/left is probably grip, trigger control, overreach, etc. I have found that most "new" pistol shooters will, indeed, shoot low initially.

Read this:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

Best way to start out with a new pistol is bench rest it with some sand bags for support or a pistol rest. Start out at 7 yards and have at it....you can find something to "rest" the pistol, hands on - it will help determine where you should "hold" the sight on the target.

spodwo

I might add that I use the "pad" of my finger for the trigger - the article I sent you the "shootist" there espouses using the first joint....I frankly like the pad better as you can isolate your trigger movement better. That is just me....

PRACTICE trigger pulling...the front of the barrel shouldn't move at all if dry firing the pistol.

Jim243

If she is shooting low and left, she is rapping her finger to far around the trigger. She needs to use the tip of her trigger finger to just pull strait back. (not as easy as it sounds, but necessary) Have her use a two hand grip, but keep the thumbs off the pistol.

I have the full size version and it will shoot well with 115 grain hollow points. Why It does not like the 124 grain bullets I do not know why, it just doesn't like them. (needs a faster bullet, 115 grain)

It is reliable and accurate once you get use to the gun. It uses a rotating barrel the is suppost to reduce recoil. Weither it does or doesn't is a matter of opinion. But the recoil will be less with a 115 grain bullet than the 124s. Hand her the gun with a empty mag and watch as she pulls the trigger. This will show what she is doing at the time the trigger is pulled.

Good luck
Jim

spodwo

It uses a rotating barrel the is suppost to reduce recoil. Weither it does or doesn't is a matter of opinion. But the recoil will be less with a 115 grain bullet than the 124s

The Sub Compact PX4 Beretta, like the original poster mentioned though, does NOT have a rotating barrel system - just to make it clear....

taylorce1 -
Watch this video with her..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yohikhl9_c&feature=related

Then have your girlfriend go to the range - hand her the pistol, watch her technique in shooting. When she pulls the trigger - the barrel tip shouldn't move at all...there is no recoil as she is drying firing the weapon.

Then have her shoot live rounds. Watch her hands and fingers, not the pistol. You may want to tell her to VERY slowly pull back on the trigger to see if she is anticipating too much [flinching, squeezing, etc.]. Just before the trigger "breaks" and the pistol fires - you may be able to determine if she is not following the correct techniques. Again, I have seen many draw down on the pistol before firing, therefore lowering the nose of the pistol.

It's all about the proper grip, proper sighting, proper breathing and proper trigger control.

Practice.

iiplus

I own (3) PX4's. I have the fullsize in both 9mm and 40 S&W, both are model C. In 2008 I read some good reviews on the 9mm and decided to give one a try. I loved it so much that I purchased the 40 ( the sweetest pistol I have ever shot). I love the constant action trigger, DA with reduced pull. When the subcompact became available I purchased one and after one trip to the range with the PX4, I sold my Glock subcompact. The subcompact Beretta is very accurate and it is very balanced, just the right weight.

My wife shot the subcompact and and she became an convert. I have shot several hundred rounds of white box winchester, CCI, and others with any failure. i have 115 gr Corbon for a personal protection ammo.

Have your wife place the pad of her finger on the trigger and spend a lot of time with dry fire practice to get rid of the low / left shots.