Beretta Model 96FS Police Special

lamarw

Acquired a police trade-in Beretta 96FS yesterday. It came from the Ruleville, Mississippi Police Department. I used the Beretta Serial Number look-up, and it states a manufacture date of 1998. In the nomenclature it identifies it as a Police Special. My question is whether all 96FS's are considered a Police Special or is there something different from a regular 96FS.

pblanc

I have a Beretta 92FS Police Special that is over 10 years old that has Trijicon night sights.

It came in a cardboard box instead of a hard case and one more magazine than commercial 92FS pistols were shipping with at that time.

lamarw

The links carguychris posted make sense. The same was the case with S&W Model 28 vs. 27 revolvers. It was to make it more affordable for law enforcement. Other than holster wear, the finish is as good as any of my other Beretta pistols.

It did come with three magazines. One is a standard PB magazine made in Italy. The other two are PB also but are further marked on the other side "80399 RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/GOVERNMENT USE ONLY". Other than the markings, there is absolutely no difference between the three magazines.

Thanks, I appreciate the the information. :)