Beretta Model 70

scorpion_tyr

Looking at a few of these and I'm wondering what the difference in safeties is. Some have a push button safety while others have a thumb safety. Did Beretta switch from the button to the tumb? If so when?

Any other info on the gun would also be appreciated.

Claddagh

From what I can gather, Beretta began producing the 70 series pistols in 1958. The only info I can find is that the cross bolt (button) safety was replaced with a thumb lever sear block-type "shortly after its introduction". When exactly that may have been, it doesn't say. My guess would be sometime in the early-to-mid 1960s.

The 70 series replaced the Models 1934, 1935, 948 and 949. During the late 1960s they were briefly produced with a 100 series designation. During the 1970s a magazine safety was added and the pistols became known as the Model 70S. This designation replaced those of models 70 through 75, making those designations obsolete. Only the Model 76 designation was continued without the "S" suffix at the time.

The original design included the cross bolt safety, a slide hold-open device and a push-button mag release.

The series was available in calibers .22 LR, .32 ACP and .380 ACP with either 3.5" or 5.9" barrels. It was imported and marketed by J.L. Galef & Sons in the U.S. under the model name "Puma". It was discontinued in 1985.

Hope this is of some help.

scorpion_tyr

Thanks for the info! I'm guessing then those with the push button are a little more rare, maybe not worth anymore, maybe less.

dondavis3

I own a Beretta 70 S

DSC_0108.jpg

I've owned mine forever .

It is a neat gun use by Mossad

Here's a article to read.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tactical-weapons/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/

:cool:

carguychris

I'm guessing then those with the push button are a little more rare, maybe not worth anymore, maybe less.
In my experience, there's not much difference in value. I prefer the thumb safety because it's a good deal less awkward to use IMHO.

Also, you'll notice that the gun in dondavis3's picture has an adjustable rear sight and a finger rest extension on the magazine. These features are not found on all 70-series pistols; although I've not seen documentation to back this up, I believe that these features were used primarily on post-1968 pistols to gain adequate points to meet 68 GCA legal importation criteria.

Claddagh has it right. J.B. Wood's book only says the change was "shortly after introduction"...but "shortly" is open to interpretation. The 70's series was put into production in 1958 and I've got a 32ACP 70 date-coded 1964 that still has the push button safety....so at least that long. There is, to the best of my knowledge, no $ difference in collectibility between the safety types....mostly affected only by condition and preference.

There is a current thread on berettaforum.net with a chart on the 70's series, but there is nothing I can find about the safety change on it.

745SW

Here are some pics of my Model 71. Fun to shoot and more reliable in terms of brands of ammo it likes compared to my High Standard Victor’s. Getting magazines is next to impossible for this 22LR.

Attachments

• DSC00447-1.jpg
    DSC00447-1.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00461-1.jpg
    DSC00461-1.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00462-2.jpg
    DSC00462-2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 43