Beretta Model 21A Problem

bipe215

Just got my wife a new 21A. It will fire the first round, cycle the slide enough to cock the hammer, but will not strip a round out of the mag and chamber it. Is there a simple fix or should I return the gun. Thanks in advance.

Steve G

hammie

You didn't metion the caliber of the pistol. Is it .22 long rifle, or .25 ACP? I'm inferring from your post, that the problem is not a failure to chamber, (i.e., the cartridge is stripped from the magazine but jams against the chamber mouth), but instead the slide is not going back far enough to catch a rim and feed a cartridge from the magazine. If that's the case, then I would guess that it's an ammunition problem. What you are firing does not generate enough momentum to cycle the slide. That would mean that either the bullet's mass or velocity needs to increase. If you're using standard velocity or a lightweight .22 rimfire (e.g., .33 grain hypervelocity), then try a 40 grain high speed .22 long rifle. If you're using a .33 grain .25 ACP, then try the 50 grain FMJ. Assuming of course, that the owner's manual recommends that type of ammunition.

Coltman 77

Hi Steve. Sorry to read of your problems with the Beretta. :(

I'd take it back to the gunshop Monday morning and exchange it, rather than try to trouble-shoot it myself.

Good luck.

maddyfish

I had one, and when new it didn't like to feed cheap ammo. It liked CCi stingers. After it was well broken in, it would shoot anything.

bipe215

Thanks for the feedback. It is 22lr. I tried Wolf Match Target 40gr and
Winchester Supreme 32gr. Same result with both.

Steve

tjhands

Why, I don't know, but I own two of these guns. They aren't good for anything - range or defense - they're just kinda fun. One of mine only functions reliably with CCI Mini-Mags and the other one with CCI Velocitors.

You can't realistically expect the thing to be a reliable gun with all .22lr ammo. And I hope you're not carrying the gun for self-defense.

michael t

I have bought 2 of them this month. The one I bought yesterday I shot a 100 rounds today of plain CCI lead. No mini mag . Not one jam or miss fire.
The other one has performed the same way. Is this best SD pistol No. But it will deliver 8 rounds very fast. My teen age daughters like to shoot them and 22 is still affordable . I also have 3 of the 25 autos. 2 950BS and one model 20 . I just like the little Beretta's I do not have the frame cracking 32 or any other Beretta . I only like the small caliber ones. :D

Superhouse 15

Does it happen only with a fully loaded magazine? Some 21 magazines will hold an extra round, but not reliably feed it. See if it's reliable with a downloaded magazine. Next step is to give it more break-in time with a variety of ammo.

John D

Years ago, I had definite feeding problems in my 21A, directly related to ammo. After trying several different kinds, the Mini-Mags and Velocitors were the solution. I shoot these exclusively and all feeding problems stopped.

Magyar

It is 22lr.
I had the same problem. I hope you weren't the guy I sold mine to in the aisles of a Gun Show. Sent it back to Beretta in MD, not once, but twice; it would come back with a few check-marks here & there; no written explanation and it repeatedly did the same thing. I tried tinkering with it; used Stingers & Yellow Jackets that helped; but jamming frequently still occurred...Hence, back to the part where I'm at the Gun Show.....:)

AK103K

I had two, both liked the hotter ammo to function reliably. Both also like to be spotlessly clean, and would usually start to get grumpy after a couple of boxes.

8shot357

How much have you shot it?:rolleyes:

I have one that didn't work very well, but the more I shot it, it came around, and now it shoots very well. And, that's with out cleaning (1000+)

FYI, they don't like some ammo.

RGPM1A

+1 on CCI Stingers and Velocitors. They are the only rounds that are powerful enough to cycle the slide on these guns reliably - even if the gun is limp wristed. The 21A has no extractor so just because the empty ejects doesn't mean the slide is cycling all the way. Also these guns are usually carried in a pocket and pick up a ton of lint - especially if too much lube is used on them. If you use the Stingers or Velocitors and keep the gun clean and very lightly lubed with a good gun oil it should work very reliably. Also the magazines for these gun will hold 8 rounds but never load more than 7 or the gun will jam every time.

Following the above my 21A works every time and if a misfire happens pulling the trigger again it always fires - but only with CCI ammo.

As far as 22 gun/ammo reliability and stopping power in general. Carrying one of these is better than nothing.

Stiofan

Seems to be hit or miss with these guns. I've owned mine over 20 years now, carried it while backpacking mostly where weight was an issue, while I lived in California. I've literally put thousands of rounds through mine and I don't ever remember a ftf.

I'd definitely have it sent back, it should work properly and they can be made to do so. There's no reason to accept less.

machiasmort

Posted By TJHANDS: "Why, I don't know, but I own two of these guns. They aren't good for anything - range or defense - they're just kinda fun. One of mine only functions reliably with CCI Mini-Mags and the other one with CCI Velocitors.

You can't realistically expect the thing to be a reliable gun with all .22lr ammo. And I hope you're not carrying the gun for self-defense."

With all respect, Brother, you must be kidding!

The 21a is one of my favorites! You can't ask for better safety features in a small cal. and if you have a misfire, yank the hammer back and whack the shell again!!!

Not only do I sleep with mine in my pocket upon occasion, (tribute to the safety features, like 1/2 cocked), but it's very accurate! I whistled a cci mini-mag through a woodchucks ears at 65ft.!

Took some fooling around with mine, but I also rested upon cci mm, cci stingers feed ok, but are not nearly as accurate! Hope he didn't sell that gun and got it straightened out!

I'm sure you have "fixed" the problem by now, but I just wantedto say that I just spent an afternoon with a stainless 21a .22LR, and I could not get it to jam. I used Remington Thunderbolts exclusively, today, and they are high velocity, which this little gun likes. Yesterday, shooting a mix of standard velocity did not do as well, so I will say avoid anything low powered, and stick with any quality high speeds. Cool gun. Hard to see the sights on the stainless, but head shots at 15-20 yards were possible when I held it right. Great fun to shoot!

michael t

I shoot one 1 or 2 rounds almost every day . I live in country and use it to call my dog back . When he's in woods or out of shouting range . He was shot with bird shot(at distance) as a pup raiding a trash can. Hates gun fire and will run for house at 1 shot.

LewSchiller

If you like the 21a you'll love the .25 acp Jetfire/950 series.
More expensive per round but more reliable as a result.
Both my wife and I carry one. She's positively deadly with hers at 5 to 7 yards.

michael t

I agree on the 950 series to bad not made any more. Best 25 auto ever made I have 2 of them and a Model 20 which is the 950 made DA/SA. For some reason they screwed that over and went with the 21 I think a real mistake . The 950 and model 20 way better than the 21 .