Beretta M1951 worth the $300 price tag?

veprdude

There are Beretta M1951s still floating around on the surplus market. $270-300 plus tax/shipping/FFL depending on where you get them. Good value? Overpriced? I know these things were hard to come by for a long time and I guess Italy surplussed them out in 2019 or so.

Thoughts?

Nodak1858

I was right on the verge of getting one, but started to read about the barrel block possibly cracking. You can still by them but they are around a 1/3 the price of the gun. Then I found PSA had 92S in stock for $339. So I ordered up one, they say luck of the draw and they may have pitting and rust but function, I can live with cosmetic issues on a used gun, but even if it's rough its a decent deal for a 92.

FrankenMauser

Short answer:

Yes. Buy it now.
All surplus firearms have risks of damage involved. But those issues can usually be repaired. And the best time to get parts (or a replacement) is when the firearms are most available on the market.
Do it now, or forget about it.

Long answer:

M1951s are a necessary addition if you want to complete a Beretta service pistol collection.

They're also a nice piece to have if you want one of the first truly viable 9mm service pistols.
And, of course, you must have one if you have a Hi-Power. It's the law.

Whether or not you want it for its service history, design evolution, or just because it's a bit different, there is one thing to keep in mind:
They won't be getting any cheaper.

Let's use the 92S as an example.
The 92S pistols have trickled into the US for decades. A little here. A little there. But never any huge numbers.
Until two years ago. Suddenly, there was a glut on the market (far more so than now) and prices were pushed down to as low as $199.

Two years ago, you could have gotten one of the better condition 92Ss (like mine) for $199.
Today, you're looking at a starting price of $339 for something in worse condition.
Next year, that'll be $399+ for worse condition, still.
In five years, if any remain for sale by the usual suspects, the price will be $500+ for ratty examples that are being scraped from the bottom of the barrel. Private sale asking prices will follow the same trend, albeit slightly suppressed.

And, of course, importable surplus firearm supplies are drying up, while the number of interested buyers is increasing. We're reaching the point where pre-machinegun service weapons have all been consumed, and there won't be anything left that can be imported (except in very small numbers and generally very poor condition - which we're already seeing with Garands, M1903s, Mosins, and the few Mausers still out there). The modern generations of collectors are also far more focused on what they want, and far more likely to impulse buy something, even if they're not sure they want it - just to be sure they don't miss out on what might be their only chance at one for a good price.

The modern generations also tend to buy spare parts for their surplus firearms before they break, which leads to parts drying up far quicker than previous generations are used to.

This triple-whammy means that import lots are sold faster and faster with every year that goes by, and everything becomes more expensive and harder to get, with increasing rapidity.

If you want, or think you might want an M1951, buy it NOW!
You can always unload it for the same price, or more, next year.

Ibmikey

Yes P 38 engineering is evident in the design, i personally would not devote $300 of my bank account to a large poor pointing pistol with very different features when there are much better designs on the market for the same or slightly more money.

Jim Watson

There is a guy in Holland who is making locking blocks for Beretta 92s and will do one for the 1951 on request.
https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/...cking-blocks-for-sale-new-manufacture.196794/

Here is a place that has the Beretta part. Magazines, too.
https://dkfirearms.com/product/surplus-beretta-m1951-barrel-locking-block/

I think it is a "neat old gun" and am deterred from buying one for the same reason I did not get one of the M70 22s with dummy silencer: teeny old style sights and no ready supply of magazines.

A guy here dumped his 1951 a long time ago when he read of cracked P38s which have the same lockup.

Forte S+W

Personally, I've been soured to the concept of purchasing old MilSurp weapons online sight unseen thanks to a recent unpleasant experience buying a Romanian Tokarev TTC online. (Long story short, the firearm I received didn't match the description provided by the seller and the magazine it came with was completely rusted out inside.

I thought about getting one of these, but so far every picture I've seen online of one of these has been in rather poor condition, too poor to justify the cost, then there is the concerns over locking block failure coupled with the cost of replacement parts and to me it's a no-go.

Frankly, there are too many police trade-in S&W 3rd Gens and SIGs on the market which are in better condition for me to want to drop $300 on a worn out/rusted up Berett 1951.

FrankenMauser

If you don't like old guns, don't buy old guns.

Lots of hate here, from guys that weren't interested anyway... :rolleyes:

You don't buy a Beretta M1951 to take to the range and run like a Glock.
Nor do you buy a Glock to appreciate its history and evolution.

44caliberkid

I'm a milsurp fan and I would buy one. I have two Egyptian 1951's, a military and a new production model imported by Century. The new one shoots POA and groups as well as any 9mm I have. I like the slim single stack frame. I was reading a review of one where at the 300 round mark, the frame rail galled (soft metallurgy) and the slide seized. The owner stoned the rough section and it went on fine. I was keeping careful round count on mine and it did the same thing right around 300 rounds. I applied the same fix. The Egyptian ones were known for being soft.
I also bought two of the improved locking blocks from the guy in Holland for in case one of mine breaks. I bought some nice checkered wood grips for the newer one off eBay.
I would love to have a real Italian 1951. I just saw the ads for them and will probably order one.

veprdude

So the next question is whether to get an older model or newer model with updated locking block and recoil spring? DK Firearms has a batch of 1975-76 models that allegedly use the better 92S steel. Normally I'd get the older model since I feel they would hole more value but the 75-76 models appear to be in much better shape and maybe not have the locking block issues the older ones have.

44caliberkid

As condition is everything in the gun world, I'd get the best one you can. Even the first batch of M9's that Beretta made for the US military had locking block cracking issues. They just seem to turn out a bad batch every so often. I think they make far more good ones than bad ones.

JDBerg

FrankenMauser: said:
And, of course, you must have one if you have a Hi-Power. It's the law.

Say What? IMHO, if you have a MKII or MKIII BHP (preferably both) in good working condition, you already have a good shooting pistol!

Actually if you have an Egyptian Helwan or Iraqi Tariq clone of this gun, this Beretta 1951 would be an upgrade. But this gun isn’t even close to a BHP!

The cross-bolt safety on this critter is an oddball that scares the crap out of me, considering this is single action. If you do buy one of these, just shoot it at the range don’t carry it. With an 8 round single stack magazine that you’re probably going to have to scrounge for, in order to have more than the single magazine that comes with the gun, this one is only suitable for range use. But with a 7-1/2 to 8 lb. SA trigger pull it might not be much fun at the range. It might be suitable as a wall-hanging in a nice frame. OBTW, Helwan mags might work but you didn’t hear that from me!

OBTW, this is a MilSurp but the Italian Army never adopted this gun, the Italian Navy and the national police forces did until 1977. The newest versions of this model are still 40 years old.

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

Say What?
Re-read the thread. You missed the answer. And, apparently, the point.

No one in here, offering serious discussion of these pistols, is suggesting using one for CC or SD, or even heavy range use. Like some previous replies, you're acting like we're discussing a new Glock, rather than a historical artifact that can provide some fun and serve as a conversation starter, if that's your thing.

44caliberkid

Re-read the thread. You missed the answer. And, apparently, the point.

No one in here, offering serious discussion of these pistols, is suggesting using one for CC or SD, or even heavy range use. Like some previous replies, you're acting like we're discussing a new Glock, rather than a historical artifact that can provide some fun and serve as a conversation starter, if that's your thing.
Well put, Frank. Thank you