Beretta 96s to 9mm

defjon

Hello,

My question is: can you purchase say, a Beretta 96 in .40, and then simply swap barrels and magazines, and use the same set up to also fire 9mm? Two calibers, essentially one pistol?

Thanks,

Jon

----Assuming if this was possible, it wouldn't be able to swap a .40 barrel into a 9mm....am I wrong?

robhof

robhof

I own a 92F and got a 96D slide and barrel that switched my 92 to a 96 and the Beretta 9mm mags work with the 40's. I don't see why it wouldn't work in reverse, but you do need the complete slide as the extractor and bolt face are different for the different bullet cases.

Robk

Don't think it would be as easy as a stock barrel replacement. .40 Barrel is bigger than a 9mm of course. But it may be possible to install a complete 92 upper on your 96. Or behaps a custon 9mm barrel, would be cheaper than a complete slide. Magazines should not be an issue. Currently using M9 magazines in my .40 90-TWO. Work fine.

As far as I am aware, the following holds true. 40 cal. pistols can be rebarreled for .357 Sig and vise versa. To go down to a 9mm, one needs a converstion barrel to take up the space left by the the larger .40.