Beretta 96 or Browning hi power?

benny27

Ok, after all the wonderful advice from my previous thread I have decided to carry the .40S&W for a while, I'm kind of stuck between two guns, the Beretta 96 and the Browning hi point, I have a Beretta 92fs in 9mm and think they're one of the best pistols on the market, probably the smoothest slide action I've ever shot, but also have heard some good things about the Browning as well, which I haven't shot. I know they're both reliable, but which one tends to be more accurate...I know personal skill is a big part, and i'm a pretty good shot. Thanks for any info.

BTW, I just don't like glocks, sorry..:(

HorseSoldier

I'd say it kind of depends on what you're looking for the pistol to do. The Beretta has a better format for concealed carry, in my opinion (DA/SA), while the Browning is much better sized for that application. Carrying a cocked and locked HP without some sort of improved aftermarket safety lever is kind of annoying, though.

For a pure range gun, I'd go with the Browning personally, but both will work well for that.

IM_Lugger

I would go with Beretta 90two IMO it's better suited for .40 caliber. The gun was re-designed with .40 in mind and came out in .40 first ;) (beretta also discontinued 96 line shortly after)

Never liked Hi-power's shot one in 9mm but didn't like it, wasn't that accurate for me either...

Perldog007

That would have been an interesting thread.

Well then your wish is my command. My highest qual for Virginia S.O. with a Model 96 was 286.

With my Hi Point it was 294 and that particular test ran out to 25 yards, whereas the VA armed S.O. qual only went to 15 yards.

So on accuracy only, the Hi Point in my case. I think individual hand fit also has alot to do with hit. Never scored higher than 280 with my GLock 23, loaned to another S.O. for qual and he shot his first 300 with it.

I really thought my 96 was a great service pistol, but ended up carrying my GLock 23 more. Probably the weight and capacity. Between the 96 and HP capacity is similiar I think.

The old advice holds true, which one fits your hand better?

Jack19

If you're going to choose one of these go with the Browning HP in .40.

Browning did all the right things to make the .40 version of the HP work very well. I shot a Gunsite class with one when they first came out and it performed flawlessly.

I, admittedly, don't know much about the 96. But I've read of reliability problems due to the increased power of the .40. Do your research.

Harry Callahan

I have both and I must say I think I prefer the 96. Very smooth, decent trigger, magazines easy to load, and a good shooter. Hi Power(.40)is very nice but I am kind of disappointed in some things. After I've loaded 3 HP magazines my fingers are absolutely raw and sore. The slide release is not very friendly unless you have a full magazine in it(not the case on my BHP 9mm), and I'm going to have to get a different grip as I'm not as fond of the wrap around as I thought I would be(Practical). I've only shot a few hundred through it so far and I'm not sure if it will "break in" any further. Anyone have this problem?