Beretta 92X-Performance frame mounted safety

Pistoler0

The only reason I do not own a Beretta is because all my other pistols with a safety are such that the safety is taken "off" when the thumb lever is down and it is engaged when it is up. I do not like the idea of having a pistol with a different mode of operation.

But I see that the 92X-performance has a frame mounted safety 1911 style that is switched "off" by pressing it down.

Does anybody know if this safety also acts as a de-cocker? The Beretta website does not specify it.

RickB

youtube video indicates the hammer must be controlled with the fingers as the hammer is lowered; no decock function in the safety.

RickB

The original Beretta 92 had a frame-mounted safety, and Taurus was making that version, under license for the Brazilian military.
When the contract was completed, Taurus continued making guns based on the 92, but doing their own development, so when Beretta went to the Walther-style, slide mounted decocker, Taurus went their own way, designing a combination safety and decocker in the frame.

Victor252

You might also consider a Beretta 80 series. These were made in a partnership with Browning (Fabrique National?) and have a frame mounted safety/decocker. There are a few models and a few permutations of each model.

However, according to their website, Beretta is only making a three options right now, one in .32 ACP and a two in .380, a double stack and a single stack. If you don't mind stepping down to a .380, this could be your ideal compact, frame safety/decocker Beretta.
https://www.beretta.com/en/serie-80/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh8zsxgjQvM

wild cat mccane

If you can believe it, a majority stake of S&W was owned by the same parent company as Taurus during S&W's glory days for 7 years.

If you look for a PT92 compact, I'm vaguely recalling there were different safety version? Probably wrong. But like said above, they've been out of production for a while.

Jim Watson

youtube video indicates the hammer must be controlled with the fingers as the hammer is lowered; no decock function in the safety.

Weird. They make more guns with decockers than thumb safeties, why do an end run on a gun with safety? Unless...
The heavy CZ guns now popular in USPSA Production have thumb safeties and must have the hammer manually lowered. I don't know why they don't build a three pound "production" gun with decocker for the Division.

RickB

"Nobody" uses a safety with hammer-down starts, so the Beretta must be aimed at cocked 'n' locked use?
Unless the slide-mounted safety was causing (too many) issues with inadvertent activation of the safety during loading or malfunction clearing?

Jim Watson

Not if you get a "G" type, the slide lever is only a decocker with no safety function, it is spring loaded back up into horizontal position.

wild cat mccane

On a CZ competition gun I think they are thinking SA only, the more expensive CZs are SA only.

Agreed on a decocker being the best option like the Walther P99 or the CZ SP-01 Tactical I had.

TunnelRat

Weird. They make more guns with decockers than thumb safeties, why do an end run on a gun with safety? Unless...
The heavy CZ guns now popular in USPSA Production have thumb safeties and must have the hammer manually lowered. I don't know why they don't build a three pound "production" gun with decocker for the Division.

If you talk with people like Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom, I believe the general impression is the decocker mechanism degrades the trigger pull. People seem to be willing to manually decock the pistol in a competition setting in exchange for that nicer trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Watson

That's the story I got on Benos.
I can see it on a CZ, who knows what they did to put on a frame decocker.
But the slide lever decocker on a Beretta is pretty simple. Not that you see many Berettas on the USPSA circuit.

TunnelRat

I would agree. I have a 92A1 with a G conversion. Throw in some drop in parts like the Elite hammer and a LTT trigger bar and the trigger is pretty incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk