Beretta 92FS

KJr

My friend let me borrow his 92FS and I fell in love with this 9mm. His is a USA made and I'm looking to purchase a Italy made 92FS.

Post your thoughts on this firearm, I respect your opinions and value your comments. The Firing Line has always been a good resource for me.

Thanks in advance.

twhidd

I love my 92FS. It's one of the smoothest running guns I own. I replaced the factory mainspring with the "D" spring and it reduced the double action trigger pull to down around 8 pounds. I also just purchased a Compact version that Beretta just brought back onto the market. It is just as nice.

LockedBreech

Sugar, flour, baking soda in the pantry.

Milk, eggs, cheese in the fridge.

Motor oil, a jack, a ratchet set in the garage.

92FS in the gun locker.

It's a staple, my friend!

JohnKSa

Administrator
Once you master the trigger, the accuracy is better than average for an out-of-the-box pistol.

Reliability is excellent.

If I were looking to purchase a new Beretta semi-auto, I'd take a close look at the 92A1. The 92A1 has some features that you might like. Same basic gun as the 92FS but with a few minor improvements.

9mm

What is the difference in the 92fs/92a1... I only see a rail, which I could careless.

Also the top, see picture.

Attachments

• 92a1.jpg
    92a1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 84

JohnKSa

Administrator
Besides the accessory rail, the 92A1 has the internal recoil buffer that Beretta initially debuted in the 90-Two, a dovetailed front sight which allows for removal unlike the integral sight machined onto the slide of the 92FS, a captive recoil spring assembly rather than a loose spring with a separate recoil spring guide and it has a rounded trigger guard rather than the squared-off trigger guard found on the 92FS.

Nothing major--other than perhaps the recoil buffer.

mesinge2

Very accurate weapon, being a 1911 guy my only complaint is the position of the safety. So, I use it as a decocker only and carry safety off with DA first pull like a wheelie. P.S. Mec-Gar Optium mags are amazing for the 92. The flush fitting ones are 18-rd and the extended are 20-rd; they both feed flawlessly and IMHO have a better finish than the beretta mags.

My 9mm Beretta 92FS 2.jpg
attachment.php

ShipWreck

Hell, I love them. I have 8, and one is my every day carry!

I have "D" springs in all of them... SA pulls are around 4.5 lbs, and DA pulls just over 8 lbs...

8-beretta-label1.jpg

Carrygear2.jpg

kraigwy

I picked one up a couple months ago. Since then I've already put over 1000 rounds through it. I shoot cast bullets (125 Grn) and it works flawlessly.

I had one problem of failure to feed, turns out it was a split case that missed inspection prior to reloading.

It's accurate, fast, and smoother then a prom queen's thighs. It appears its going to be my Steel Multi-Gun pistol.

ShipWreck

"D" spring is a slightly lighter hammer spring - it is a factory part... It is the same spring in the DAO version of the 92... It lightens that DA pull a bit.

Brownells sells them - they are out of stock right now, but you can backorder the item. I have an order of 3 on backorder. Last time, I ordered 5 at one time, and they were on back order, but I got them after 2 weeks. Right now, I'm waiting for 3 weeks..

Go ahead and order one - you'll get it eventually.

TailGator

I suffered the same fate as the OP - handling and shooting one put me in the market for an Inox. It doesn't hurt that it is one of the most handsome guns in production, either. There aren't many guns that nobody badmouths, but it seems like everyone who owns one loves it. I am going to be one of those soon.

vyse.04

IMO they are one of the best service size 9mm's available. I carried one while stationed on a ship in VA, and qualified with them on quite a few occasions. I've always been partial to the all steel handguns, so it was right up my alley. I know there are people who CC them on a regular basis, but I would personally prefer to go with a single stack design IF I could carry in good ol IL. Outside of that, they have proven to be an exceptionally reliable sidearm. Good luck with your next purchase! I'm sure it will be a winner.

AustinTX

Nothing to say that hasn't already been said, really. They're awesome guns. Very accurate, unsurpassed in reliability, super soft-shooting, and great fit and finish for a mass-production pistol. It's also an aesthetic masterpiece and an absolute blast to shoot. Out of all my guns, it's the only one that makes it to the range every time.

Get one! :D

9mm

ShipWreck, you're IWB hard plastic 92fs holder looks like a pain lol

Why not use leather holster?