Beretta 92FS Brigadier extractor

Glokkk

Hello from the Land of OZ (Australia, "down under").
Can I trouble forum members for advice please? I have just replaced a broken extractor and upon reassembly I find that the slide is locked up. I have obviously done something wrong with reassembly, but now I cannot remove the slide and therefore I cannot fix whatever it is that I have done wrong. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you in advance. 3 photos attached (hopefully)Beretta 92FS Brigadier_1.jpg

Beretta 92FS Brigadier_2.jpg

Beretta 92FS Brigadier_3.jpg

Wag

That sucks. Wish I could tell what it could be.

Very rare that you'd have to force anything upon reassembly. If you find yourself having to push things together real hard, it's time to stop and figure out what's out of alignment and fix it first.

Of course, that's zero help to you now.

Do you have a gun smith you can take it to?

--Wag--

JohnKSa

Administrator
The back end of the recoil spring guide has slipped down out of position. That's not really possible with the gun fully assembled, but with the slide forward of its normal assembled position, it can happen.

Pull the slide back and position something between the back end of barrel and the breechface of the slide and down the mag well to hold the slide back. Something sturdy that is plastic/non-marring like a good solid ballpoint pen.

Push down on the end of the recoil spring guide while you pull out on it hard. That should pop the other end back up. You should either feel the end pop back up, or the recoil spring guide will sort of retract partially into the slide when you release it. Either way, you will be able to take out the object holding the slide back and then the slide will come off the gun easily.

From now on, be sure to get the end of the recoil spring positioned properly for assembly--with the back end fully in the notch on the underside of the locking block and don't mess with it until the slide is all the way on the gun.

A broken extractor, eh? Don't hear of that very often with the 92 series pistols.

Glokkk

Many thanks, what you advise makes sense, and l will give it a go.
The gun would occasionally, not fully eject a spent case. On close examination, l could see that a portion of the "tooth" was missing from the extractor/ejector.
Your knowledge and advice is greatly appreciated, thank you once again.

JohnKSa

Administrator
That's great! That's a nice gun you have. I bought an Elite II (factory "custom" 92FS Brigadier) many years ago and it's one of my favorite pistols.

rc

Glokkk, I like to watch Ozzie Reviews sometimes. Ruger bolt guns seem to be very popular in Australia. While your country has worked hard to take away your guns, there is definitely a strong sport shooting culture down under! How hard was it to get permits to own a pistol?

Glokkk

Very complex procedures now, lots of checks, like police a clearance for a start, then formal Club training procedures (only Club use is allowed in Aust. for handguns, ie Competition). The process can take up to 6 months or more, and while onerous, it is not impossible. I obtained my "H" Class licence many years ago, before the stricter laws came into play. Even then, it took a few months of Club training. Strict storage laws also apply, but I must say compliance is not really an issue if you are responsible and are safety conscious.Beretta 92FS Brigadier_Ejector_1.jpg
I have attached a photo of the broken claw on the extractor/ejector.

Glokkk

Yes; we seem to love Ruger bolt action rifles here in Aust. I have 4 Ruger American in various calibres, .22, .243, .308 and .308 (Predator version).
They are entry level firearms for sure, but they shoot so well. My son and I just love everything about them. We are relatively new to hunting these past 6 years, and the Ruger's have done us well with deer, foxes, rabbits, feral cats and the like. Never a problem with these rifles.
And thanks again for such great help with my Beretta, I cannot thank you guys enough. Best regards to you all.