Beretta 92

haymaker

I just purchased a used Beretta 92F. I'm not that familiar with the Beretta line. Can someone tell me the difference between the 92F and the 92FS?
Thanks

shield20

Beretta 92F (1984) – initially designated 92SB-F, later renamed 92F. Evolved from the Model 92SB during American XM9 trials, with a slightly reshaped grip and trigger-guard, also a different finish. The barrel bore and chamber are chrome-plated.

Beretta 92FS (1989) – a minor modification of the Model 92F, with an enlarged hammer pin head which prevents the slide from flying back in the case of breakage. Presently, all US M9 pistols are modified to 92FS standard.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg07-e.htm

Got an italian 92F in '86 for CC and duty - GREAT gun.

Bought an M9 the other day, just because.

The M9 has some hybrid polymer parts that the 92F didn't (trigger, mag release, mainspring housing, guide rod)

Enjoy!

haymaker

Thanks for the reply. Is there really much danger of a breakage and having the slide imbedded in my forehead? The only time I ever shot one was circa 1980 and I have always wanted one. Weather permitting I will shoot it tomorrow and see how she handles.

BlueDragon

It should be fine

I have a Beretta 92F that i got from my uncle he bought it 14 years ago. and he has fired many many many rounds through it, as have i since obtaining it. and it has yet to have anything break, only thing thats happend to it so far is it rattles and the finish is starting to rub off.:D

haymaker

It's been a few years since I purchased a new (or used) gun. I have a Ruger P90 that I think is great, especially now that I have the Hogue grips on it. That last couple of months I've been thinking about getting something different and was seriously considering a Glock or XD in either 9, 40, or 45. I was looking at them today but there is nothing about them that really excites me. I know both Glock and Springfield are excellent guns and perhaps someday I will get one. I recently shot a Glock 22 and the trigger guard kept slapping my trigger finger on recoil. That annoyed me. Another pistol that got my attention is the Ruger P345. I liked how it fit my hand but didn't see a reason to buy another Ruger .45. They didn't have any 9mm Rugers in stock. There is something very "classy" about the Beretta 92. This is my first 9mm.

The Body Bagger

Thanks for the reply. Is there really much danger of a breakage and having the slide imbedded in my forehead?

This is one of those most overblown and widespread rumor ever created. Shoot it as hundreds of thousands of others have without problem.

shield20

I had mine from '86 through 2005; shot thousands & thousands of rounds through it, carried it exposed in snow & rain, etc., and never had a SINGLE problem - NO jams -ever, no broken parts; and you will see it tends to just get smoother with age!

Sturmgewehre

The M9 has some hybrid polymer parts that the 92F didn't (trigger, mag release, mainspring housing, guide rod)
Unfortunately the gun you purchased isn't a "real" M9. It's a regular civilian M92 that's been stamped "M9" to increase sales. You won't find the plastic parts on a military M9 service pistol.

I do have a real M9 service pistol, but the last time I saw one for sale it was $1,800.

Here's a couple of pics I took of mine. Notice the markings. It also lacks the new tapered dust cover found on the civilian models.

M9_2.jpg

M9_1.jpg

I've been wanting to pick up one of the $429 CDNN clone M9's for shooting. I won't shoot my real M9 because it's more of a collectors gun. I have a Italian Stainless M92 that I will carry every once in a while.

I do love the M92's though.

Sturmgewehre

I had mine from '86 through 2005; shot thousands & thousands of rounds through it, carried it exposed in snow & rain, etc., and never had a SINGLE problem - NO jams -ever, no broken parts; and you will see it tends to just get smoother with age!
Yup, they are damn fine pistols. It's one of the best designed 9mm's ever sold.

NCHornet

I too have a Italian made 92F from the early 80's and it is a very fine pistol. You can tell when you shoot it, the action is so smooooth and just puuurs quality!!! I love my Glock's but the Berreta is a special piece. I wish I could have gotten a SS but I don't think they made a SS back then. Trust me if there was a problem with parts breaking the military and PD's all across our country would not place them on their men and women.
Enjoy it and shoot it!!

haymaker

The pistol I purchased yesterday is an Italian made Mod. 92F. According to the mark on the trigger guard it was built in 1988. The previous owner took very good care of this gun or didn't shoot it much or both because it is in excellent condition. I took it out this morning and shot a batch of Black Hills and WWB fmj through it. I think the trigger on my P90 is a wee bit lighter both DA and SA but with my limited experience the difference is hardly discernable. I really enjoyed shooting it and what really impresses me is how smooth it is.

HorseSoldier

Great pistol for occasional to moderate use.

Very bad design for heavy use and hot ammo loads.

Practice with regular pressure range ammo, carry with whatever loads you desire, and you should be fine.

If you plan on shooting lots of +P or mil-spec ammo, go ahead and pre-order some new locking blocks if you can find a source for them.

shield20

Thanks Sturm,

I was wondering about all that "M9 replica" stuff, military contracts etc. Actually have a parts kit on route.

Do you think the polymer is a good thing - say to fight wear or whatever, or is it just to save $$$?

Sturmgewehre

Thanks Sturm,

I was wondering about all that "M9 replica" stuff, military contracts etc. Actually have a parts kit on route.

Do you think the polymer is a good thing - say to fight wear or whatever, or is it just to save $$$?
Personally I would shoot it the way it is. I doubt you could break those parts with normal usage.

If you already have the metal parts inbound, then you're good to go. Either way the gun will last you a lifetime I'm sure.

Sturmgewehre

Very bad design for heavy use and hot ammo loads.
Nonsense.

I've fired well over 30,000 rounds through my oldest M92 and it shows very-very little signs of wear. I've had the thing for 18 years and shot the piss out of it with everything from the hottest stuff I could find to crappy European military surplus. I've never replaced a single part on it.

**EDIT: 30k, not 60k rounds fired - damn typos. :D ***

Last edited:

STLRN

The only thing I would say needs to be replaced on a non-mil spec Beretta is the trigger. The composite trigger of newer guns are gritter when compared to the steel triggers. Also, the composite trigger doesn't allow the instillation of the Wolff trigger return spring upgrade. I have seen allot of broken trigger return springs over the years, it seems the most common failure on a M9.

Let it Bleed

Are the triggers on the 92FS polymer or metal with some kind of coating?

Regardless, I find this gun an absolute joy to shoot for the reasons mentioned above and also because the grip fits my hand perfectly. I hope you enjoy your new acquisition.

STLRN

The newer ones use a composite trigger, it has both metal and polymer in it, it is a very simple swap to put the steel trigger in.

DeltaWhiskey

I just purchased one of the 92F Police Specials that came with the plastic parts and three magazines. $469.00 with shipping off of Auction Arms and for some reason my FFL guy didn't charge for the transfer. Been a super piece so far, I'm liking it much more than the 96F I had some time ago, plastic parts and all. My wife likes it so much she bought me a CompTach holster for it for my birthday. I'm going to shoot the heck out of it and enjoy it, and not be a worry wart about what might or might not happen.