Beretta 92 Problem?

Reidman

I was function testing my Beretta after I cleaned it today. I pulled the slide back on a fully inserted empty mag. The slide stayed back. I hit the slide release and the slide went forward along with the hammer. The safety was off and I did not touch the trigger.

I did the same thing again and the hammer stayed back in the ready to fire position.

I performed the same action several times and eventually the hammer dropped again with the safety off and no pull of the trigger.

This just does not seem safe to me:eek: Should I assume that if this ever happens with a full mag when it chambers it will fire?

Can anyone trouble shoot this one?

Jermtheory

Should I assume that if this ever happens with a full mag when it chambers it will fire?

i would assume thats a good possibility...could even go full auto i would think.

none of mine have ever done it and i would definately have it looked at before using it again.

Dabull

No doubt something is wrong...but as for the slam fire possibility...isn't that not possible with the Beretta if your finger is off the trigger? It has a falling block that prevents the firing pin from moving unless the trigger is pulled correct?

Jermtheory

now that you mention it,i think you're correct...it would still make me nervous though.

i'd definately get it looked at either way.

IZinterrogator

I would guess that your sear is worn and that by allowing your slide to go forward at full speed without you or a bullet going in the chamber to slow the slide speed down, the crash of the slide into the closed position is enough to knock the sear out of engagement and let the hammer fall. A failure of the safety would have allowed the hammer to stay back when the safety is engaged. I would suggest you have the sear and hammer replaced and stop allowing the slide to go forward on an empty chamber without slowing it down manually in the future.

GoSlash27

That's definitely not right! :eek:
I would tear it down and look everything over (or have a gunsmith do it) before letting any ammo near it. The 3 things that come to mind are the interruptor, decocker, and the sear spring.

Reidman

Thanks GoSlash

I stripped the frame and discovered I had put the sear spring in improperly:eek:

I won't be making that mistake again!