Beretta 92 Observations...........

Zebulon

What do you think of the 92 Series Berettas? Good or bad....I want to hear your opinions...Nothing like a week-end to provoke honest responses....Talk to me...and many TIA.......Zebulon

IM_Lugger

Just like I think that the 1911 design is the best single action design, I think that Beretta 92 is the best double action design. I personally like full size handguns; not a big fan of snubies and compact guns (Ok, I like some of them).
Not only the 92FS is accurate, durable and reliable, but it is also one of the best looking guns out there. :)

Jim4003

First of all I cannot specifically tell about the model 92. I can tell you about the model 96 as at one time it was what I was issued to carry on duty.

The durabillity of the gun was good. It seemed to hold up well over time and I experienced no real problems with it.

Size, a very large gun compared to a lot of others. I would have preferred something else due to this. My hands are not large and the gun never really fit me.

Accuracy. I thought the gun lacked a great deal in this area. When comparing it to other guns and similar calibers it could have been better.

Overall the gun was decent but I would choose many others before getting another Beretta. The gun was good but not great as I would rate other semi-autos.

Handy

I think it is generally a bad idea to compare the 92 and 96. The 96 is a poor retrofit to .40. The 92 is a refined 30 year old 9mm design.

The 92 is a decent enough gun whos two main claims to fame are its excellent feed properties and rakish good looks.

Otherwise; trigger, accuracy, ergonomics, size and durability are pretty middle of the road. If you can shoot a 92 well, you could probably shoot a Sig, Walther, HK or Glock just about the same, many of which are more size efficient and perhaps tougher.

It is never a bad pick, but a pretty middle of the road wondernine.

4 Wheel Drive

If the curved butt of the 92FS doesn't do it for you, try picking up a 92 Vertec. Little bit shorter and with a straight grip, it sets better in my hand. Of course, all my 1911's have a straight main spring housing too, and that might make a difference.

I bought the "blued" model-not really blued, but the Brunniton finish, which to me is fine, except that its also on the trigger, so the finish there is only semi-slick. It will raise a blister after 200 rounds or so.

Accuracy is good.

Jim4003

Probably is a bad idea to compare the 92 with a 96. I did not do that, I only gave my opinion on a 96 I was issued.

XavierBreath

I like the B92. I never really shot mine well until I lightened up the mainspring considerably, thus lightening the trigger pull. For a person with small hands, it can be a handful.
I have found it to be reasonably accurate, extremely reliable, and relatively durable. I got mine in 1992, and I have not had one failure. I quit counting rounds through it after the first year. It doesn't get shot much anymore, as I tend to shoot 45s and 38s now. Field stripping is a piece of cake.

The recent models have plastic where plastic should not be. Of course this is supposedly keeping the cost down, but I would get a used one rather than new one due to this. See the Beretta Forum to find out the latest on which pieces are plastic. http://www.berettaforum.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=6

The B92 was doomed to get a bad rap after it replaced the 1911 as the military sidearm. You will hear such things as it fills with sand, it's to thick, not enough stopping power, cracking slides and locking blocks, and poor ergonomics. I haven't seen any of this myself. For several years the B92 set the standard for Wondernines. For a 9mm service weapon, it still is in the top of the class.

IanS

I think they're good 9mm pistols but they're a bit large and thick for a 9mm the same way a USP 9mm is. I can see a .45 or .40 being that thick but the 92 series needed to go on a diet. Although I have to say it is one of the nicer looking production pistols around. I also think a safety/decocker is unnecesary (although it is something preferred by bureaucrats in our military and police organizations). I much prefer the decocker only version like the Elite and Elite II's. Otherwise they're superbly reliable and have decent combat accuracy (for me anyways). I'd still have my 92FS and Elite model if it weren't for another make that is more compact, have controls configured the way I like them, and just plain shoot better for me.

Again, good but not a homerun for me; so if I was stuck with a Beretta 92 I wouldn't complain.

branrot

Mine (an Italian stainless 92) was my first gun. Great gun. As Handy said, it's 2 claims to fame are it's feeding reliability (due to it's extremely large ejection port) and it's good looks (that Italian design). I once got a batch of mediocre ammo that kept jamming my P99 and my friend's Glock 17, but the Beretta kept firing without a hiccup.

Accuracy wise, it's as accurate as my USP, P99, Glock, etc. It's also on par with those guns as far as fit and finish, trigger, etc.

I will disagree with somewhat with Ian, though. While I agree that it's big, it's not big like the USP. While I haven't done the measurements, I think the upper portion of the gun is actually pretty narrow, though the grip is big and the length is long. I don't think the USP is as big lengthwise or in the grip, and I think the USP's slide is thicker. The USP is also lighter due to the polymer frame.

z28pwr

The 92 Beretta is a great gun with many years behind it to prove it's reliability. It is a big gun which is very hard to conceal therefore if it's for carry I would skip this gun. If this gun is for home protection, competition shooting then this gun would be the right thing. If you have the extra cash I would look into the Beretta Elite II which normally goes for $700 on gunbroker.com .

Good luck.

sundance43.5

I love the Beretta 92. If you have small hands, I suggest picking one up first and then firing it if that's an option. For some it can be too big, but for many, even though it's big, it still fits well.

I think the Beretta has a perfectly curved backstrap. It fits my hand like no other. Even for a big grip, it still fits my hand well. I have mediumish hands.

As others have said, it is probably one of the 3 most reliable FACTORY handguns. It is also one of the best looking. There is also no limit to the aftermarket accessories.

Another Beretta plus is it's relatively smooth stock trigger. The DA pull is a little long and a shade heavy, but it's smooth. The Beretta also has one of the cheapest available trigger jobs. By simply adding the hammer spring from the DAO Beretta 92, you can lower the DA pull to 8 or 9 pounds.

My only grip about the gun is the slide mounted safety/decocker, which can be a pain at times because of its location.

I just picked up a Beretta 92FS INOX (stainless). It is quickly becoming one of my favorite guns.

mikikanazawa

You know, I seriously considered picking up a 92 for my wife, until I had the opportunity to handle one.

One thing that kinda startled me is when you hit the decocker, the hammer flies. You can't keep it "cocked and locked," because the decocker is the safety. Maybe I'm 1911-spoiled.

The overall feel of the gun I think is very European. It feels like a cap gun I had when I was a kid that was made in Spain. (And that's not a good thing.)

Bah, I'm a damn baby about the 1911.

Samuel2001

Sure the Beretta 92 series is very reliable, but they're about the size of a tank! Wuld'nt you prefer a smaller more esvelt Sig P228/229 or a GLOCK M19. About the same capacity without the bulk!

I guess I've never liked the big a$$ Berettas! However I will admit they are very reliable!

Git a GLOCK!!!!

murdock105

If you have one

Hi all,
New to this forum, but in search of a Beretta 92FS. Would like to practice with the same one I use at work before I get deployed- may be important one day soon. If you have a decent used one and are interested in selling it please email me: murdock105@hotmail.com

Thanks

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
My only experience was with a Beretta 92 fs "Centurion" model, and quite
simply I could not obtain the groups that I desired; as compared to those
fired from my SIG P226 and P228.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member