Beretta 92 mags

Tom2

OK got some 10 rounders that came with a compact 92. Full cap mags are like 13 rds I think. Tried some ball to check mag functioning before I try a range session. Found that that 10th round is very very hard to seat, and then the mag won't seat unless I take out the top rd. I think some bantastic mags I have had before were worthless with ten, in other guns. So until I barf up the big green for full caps, I will use these for practice, 9 rounds(sorta like a single stack mag:mad:). Is this common and do the full cap mags for Beretta work as advertised? I cannot remember a mag issue with my last one that was a full size gun.

JohnKSa

Administrator
You can load the full capacity mags to full capacity. It's always harder to get the last few rounds in and a full mag can be harder to lock into a gun with the slide closed since it requires further compressing an already mostly compressed magazine spring.

The 10 rounders were made so that it was impossible to load an 11th round and that often made the 10th round very difficult to load.

GoSlash27

The 9mm 10 rounders are channeled to limit capacity, whereas the .40s are limited by a taller follower.
I've never seen a 92 ban mag that wouldn't hold 10. Perhaps yours needs cleaned?
You can also run 9mm in .40 ban mags. I know a lot of guys who do that.

*edit* You said "compact". I missed that :D
Same rules should apply, but I'm not certain with compacts.

Tom2

When I got the 10th round in the mags, they would not seat for me. Not like they were springing back out, like they were solid full and uncompressable. I did notice the insides of the feed lips were a bit sharp and rough. I went and stoned and polished the insides of the feed lips a bit like I have done on other mags as it smooths feeding out of the mag. Reduces friction there. But I guess if it likes 9, hey OK for practice. Online I find 13 rounders for sale but like one for 39 used, another 45 for factory new. No one besides Beretta has a multiple stocking of these compact mags apparently. B. wants 50 for them.

theberettaman

Give the mags a little time.Shoot a few hundred rounds thru them and they will lighten up and 10 rounds will load just fine.Load them up to capacity and let them sit between range sessions,that will help break them in too.:)

Tom2

Why not. Like I said it was possible to get in the 10th, just that it would not begin to seat in the gun. Meanwhile while I am waiting for a deal on full cap mags I might try that leaving them loaded. However this is a used gun and from the wear on the blueing of the mags I assume it has had a fair amount of rounds thru it. I had no problems at all with it at the range just loading 9 the other day. Even tried a couple mags full of +P+ to see how it liked that. Shot them well and I will obviously not do that too often just for the alloy frame.